is it possible

phlipphlip hell
edited September 2005 in Hardware
is it possible for me to install windows xp onto my sata drive without using a floppy? When ui try to do so it wont detect my sata drive...any ideas?

Comments

• youvegotjermzyouvegotjermz Baton Rouge, La
    edited July 2005
    not as far as i know, since it only allows you to do it with floppy drive and not a cd or anything. your best bet is to just buy one (they are like 12 bucks or so) and download the appropriate software
  • phlipphlip hell
    edited July 2005
    doh! o well...thanks anyway
  • youvegotjermzyouvegotjermz Baton Rouge, La
    edited July 2005
    good luck!
  • edited July 2005
    phlip wrote:
    is it possible for me to install windows xp onto my sata drive without using a floppy? When ui try to do so it wont detect my sata drive...any ideas?

When you say windows you windows XP right??? It shouldn`t need any floppys for installing on sata drives. I have 2 scsi HD`s and windowsXP detects them by itself and they are on a different controller than the mobos.
  • edited July 2005
    XP only detects those because it shipped with a shed load of drivers for that very purpose. It doubt it shipped with any SATA drivers, I couldnt even get XP to install on my onboard RAID with an older one of my systems without 3rd party drivers.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2005
    You need the floppy, as far as I know (and tried) it will only search the a: drive so even if you had a usb drive or a cd with it on it won't look to them and there is no way to tell it to search there.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2005
    If your using an Nforce3/4 soloution, XP will install to your SATA device, since it has the mini driver for the series(2600 Pro only, 2200/2400 don't have the Nforce Mini driver). If you're using the VIA sata soloution (I think theirs is made by samsung, or ICS) You'll need your SATA drivers on a floppy.
  • edited September 2005
    On asus mobos you don`t need a floppy. Installed windows to more than 10 pc`s that have sata and none of them needed a floppy.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    u should be able to inject the drivers and create a custom install cd using this

http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html
  • edited September 2005
    What citrixmeta said!

+1
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2005
    citrixmeta's motion has been carried!