Pimp My Rig

edited July 2005 in Hardware
Alright guys, let's see what you guys can do to my machine for under $700 to make it a whole lot better.

P4 2.4Ghz CPU
1.25 GB of RDRAM
nVidia MX 420 Video Card AGP 4x/8x
60 GB Hard Drive Model Number: WD600BWDC WD600BB-75CAA0
17" Dell LCD (I am going to probably get the 24" LCD come Christmas time)

Let's see what you guys can do!

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    HD is fine

get a Geforce 6600 GT ( I had all the 6800's and then i sold em and went with the 6600gt I am completely satisfied )

A64 3200+ and a Mobo and ram

And a 24bit Audigy 2 zs

Thats about it
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    How much gaming / overclocking are you lookin for?
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited July 2005
    If you stick with the P4 board to save money or whatever, you can go up to 3.4 ghz for a northwood C cpu (hard to find and oem only) or 3.2 ghz easily. Avoid prescott. These 2 cpus will run you in the $200-275 range however (which I think is a bit steep considering my 2.8 version was only $250 2 years ago). This is ofcouse, if you have socket 478, which I am not certain you have because I think 423 went up to 2.4ghz speed. Of course with a new cpu I would expect nothing less than to fold that sucka 'till it pops and I know Zuntar concurs about that. :thumbsup:
    edited July 2005
    Also, is this a dell system (mobo/cpu/ram)?

yagga wrote:
    .......................... Of course with a new cpu I would expect nothing less than to fold that sucka 'till it pops and I know Zuntar concurs about that. :thumbsup:

I do concur!!!! :fold::thumbsup:
  • edited July 2005
    Yes, it is a Dell system...

RDRAM is VERY expensive, and I bought it in March of this year, if anyone would like to buy it I'll sell it for $450 for 1 GB (2 x 512 MB sticks) Or best offer.
  • edited July 2005
    Will anybody actually buy that stuff? Yes its expensive but that doesnt make it good.
  • edited July 2005
    The point is that it makes me feel bad to have made my dad waste money.

Since I used the RAM for like 4-5 months only and then throw it away.
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited July 2005
    i agree w/ everything that gnome said.

6600gt - great card, i own one and i am very happy with it. PRICE - ~$170

A64 3200+ & mobo - will be the best upgrade next to the video card. PRICE - ~$200 for processor and ~$120 for non-SLI mobo

RAM for mobo - you'll have to buy new RAM if you go A64. PRICE - ~$120 for a cheap 2x512 kit

Audigy 2 zs - if you're gaming, you'll love it PRICE - ~$70 OEM @ newegg

that is about $680, and i am being generous on most of these prices. so under 700 should be easy :)
  • edited July 2005
    I just need to seel my RAM! :(

WHat about my PSU?

Do I need a new one?

Mine is probably crappy.

*will check later today*
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited July 2005
    if you drop the audigy, you can get a good fortron for $78 to keep it in the price limit.

http://www.actbuy.com/details.asp?item=FS17500-2.0

my friend just bought this psu from this place and they were very good about it.
  • edited July 2005
    Would it fit in my Dell case?

Would the mobo fit?
  • verselloversello New
    edited July 2005
    Would it fit in my Dell case?

Would the mobo fit?

No, dell uses a proprietary case / motherboard, unfortunately... one of the reasons why you should stay away from Dell if you're looking to do major upgrades in the future.
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited July 2005
    a cheap case can be bought for about $30 on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811154017

this one is $24 and will work with your mobo. of corse you can choose whatever case you want, this is just a cheap one that i saw.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited July 2005
    $70-80 mignt be too much for you for a new case, however Coolermaster has some really nicely built (forget the name) cases in that range, I would call them the lil brothers to Zuntars Coolermaster (which stupidly of me I also forget). Anyway they look nice, are built strong (not quite as strong as Zuntars), and I want one, hehe.

And, now by the looks of it, basically you will be replacing your entire pc (just about) so why bother with the dell? That's what it seems like to me.
  • edited July 2005
    Yeah... this kinda sucks..

I need to sell that RDRAM...
    edited July 2005
    If you do this, it might be easier to market to the parents if you sell the Dell and use some of the $$$ to help defer the cost of the new one or maybe someone else in your family needs a PC.

Most new mobos have excellant on board sound, you do not NEED a sound card.
  • edited July 2005
    How much should I charge?

Considering I'll give them a shit load of programs and stuff?