Athlon XP-M "Unknown CPU"

adhamadham Ft Bragg, NC
edited October 2005 in Hardware
I just threw a machine together with an XP-M 2500+ Barton that I have OC'd to 2.4 on an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. Windows reports it as an unknown CPU type. Is that just a bios issue? (I have the latest bios) It's not a terribly big deal, but is there anything I can do to get it properly reported in windows XP Pro? Thanks for your time.

Comments

• dun-dun-dundun-dun-dun Member
    edited October 2005
    adham wrote:
    I just threw a machine together with an XP-M 2500+ Barton that I have OC'd to 2.4 on an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. Windows reports it as an unknown CPU type. Is that just a bios issue? (I have the latest bios) It's not a terribly big deal, but is there anything I can do to get it properly reported in windows XP Pro? Thanks for your time.

dang you got the same setup as me. a7n8x-e 2500+ mobile barton. Yeah I get the same issue "unknown cpu" Its not an issue. BTW, what is your clock speed? I have mine at 2.09 at reasonable temps. I had it as high as 2300 with my copper zalman flower but temps were at 160f
  • dun-dun-dundun-dun-dun Member
    edited October 2005
    adham wrote:

dang you got the same setup as me. a7n8x-e 2500+ mobile barton. Yeah I get the same issue "unknown cpu" Its not an issue. BTW, what is your clock speed? I have mine at 2.09 at reasonable temps. I had it as high as 2300 with my copper zalman flower but temps were at 160f
  • edited October 2005
    Although annoying it doesn't mean you running slower if it said the right CPU name.

I'm running a 3200+ on a MSI DELTA board.. mine did the same thing... I fixed it though now it reads correctly "Kick Ass AMD XP3200+" . nice huh
    :rarr:

You can easily change the CPU name in the registry, just search for an "unknown cpu" string and it'll bring you to the reg entry for the CPU. Just change it to any name of your choice... this doesn't effect anything other then the annoying :"unknown cpu" line.