SERIAL HARD dRIVES HOT SWAPABLE??

BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
edited August 2005 in Hardware
I have a machine running Win2K pro on an IDE ribbon cable. I have a serial Ata drive with WinXP pro that I think is corrupt. I NEED to get some info off of it. Can I introduce the serial drive while the machine is on? Like a USB device?????

Comments

• BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
    edited August 2005
    Found out I cannot
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2005
    Nooooo no you can't do that. Nooo no no no nooooo. You need a special hot swappable drive bay and devices to go with it not to mention the Mobo has to be prepared for it.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited August 2005
    absoletly correct, what will happen is that the drive will not be recognized, and then you will also have a slight possibility (altough it's never happened to me) that you get corruption or freeze the computer up or something you will not like.
  • edited August 2005
    So that everybody knows one advantage that the S-ATA has from ATA is not only the speed increase but also it can be supposly hot swapped. Meaning removing and adding a S-ATA HD on the pc at any time without needing to shut down the pc. Haven`t tried it, but it supposly works.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2005
    airoh69 wrote:
    So that everybody knows one advantage that the S-ATA has from ATA is not only the speed increase but also it can be supposly hot swapped. Meaning removing and adding a S-ATA HD on the pc at any time without needing to shut down the pc. Haven`t tried it, but it supposly works.

The mother board has to support hot swap or it won't initiallize the drive correctly.
  • edited August 2005
    kryyst wrote:
    The mother board has to support hot swap or it won't initiallize the drive correctly.

So far I believe only NF3/4 are hot swappable, maybe NF2 as well but no intel chipsets.