Could a bad video card slowdown.....

BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
edited August 2005 in Hardware
Could a bad video card slow down the bootup process? It is an ATI All In Wonder and performs otherwise fine. The computer MAY have had voltage spike thru either the phone line, cable, or power. I did replace the Mobo and installed Win2K pro the see haow everything esle was working before reinstalling Win XP Pro. With 512mb of pc400, a 3ghz intell cpu, I feel windows should bootup in nothing flat, under 30 seconds. This one now sems to take a minite or more and sometimes doesnt even see the Hard drive. I have to reboot, look at the bios, see it there then it will boot into windows. But the Hard drive is new too and only original thing left is video card

Comments

• edited August 2005
    I wouldnt think so, but I could be wrong. What about your PSU?
  • BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
    edited August 2005
    power supply unit ??? That seems Ok, 2 cd drives, floppy, original serial HD spun up
  • edited August 2005
    If stuffs not being recognised I would look at the following in order, BIOS, cables, mobo, PSU. After that the only thing thats really left is a faulty component of some description.
  • BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
    edited August 2005
    Could be the 5 year old hard drives problem. I will install brand new 120gig HD with win98 or 2k to see if it corrects this issue. Dont want to install WinXP yet till resolved
  • edited August 2005
    I can understand that... Its a long install just to find out you still have the same issue, let us know how it goes :)
  • BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
    edited August 2005
    Swapped drive as I said I was. Now it boots up WIN2K Pro in UNDER 30 seconds, and thats from a cold turned OFF start. Thats my boy now :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Now that I think of it, ASUS said it could be the old drive. Now I recall I disregarded my cardnal rule of FDISKING. I didnt do a Fdisk /mbr But I'm not going back just find out if that was the cause :thumbsup: