I got Delled!

youvegotjermzyouvegotjermz Baton Rouge, La
edited August 2005 in Hardware
ok so i'm fixin a friend's comp that's an 8250 dell desktop. his problem was that the comp wouldn't turn on. so i test the power suppy and it was bad. plugged an new power supply into it and it booted right up. Great! so then i backed up his data and started to reinstall windows. (cause his windows was beyond gayed up with viruses and old pron) so I installed xp pro, no problems and it boots right into windows. i shut down and come back today to install all the drivers and other software. and it doesn't recognize the hard disk when booting. it says:

"Primary IDE 0 not found
Press F1 to continue boot or F12 to enter setup"

i press F1 and it boots into windows, i've triple check the boot sequence, installed all the dell drivers for this comp from their site and it still makes me press F1 at boot up. any ideas?

Comments

• edited August 2005
    Drive is jumpered correctly right?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2005
    Is it using a SATA drive by chance?
  • youvegotjermzyouvegotjermz Baton Rouge, La
    edited August 2005
    yes it's jumped correctly and it's an IDE
    edited August 2005
    i'm starting to wonder if it's some kind of Dell thing. is there something special i have to do to get it to recognize the hd?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2005
    Not that I've ever encountered on a Dell they are about as close to a white box PC as you can get from a name brand.

I'm wondering if you maybe have the drive on the secondary IDE channel.
    edited August 2005
    nah, i figured it out. it was some gay bios setting. i had to tell it to turn off the slave position since there was no hd there. it was on auto before and when it booted it tried to look for it.