uninstalled drivers, computer is f@#%ed!!!

edited August 2005 in Hardware
a buddy of mine recently attempted to upgrade his drivers for his nvidia video card and in the process some how fucked his comp. what he told me was that he went through add/remove programs and uninstalled all the nvidia bs that way, wich was appearantly following instructions on uninstalling his driver wich made little sense whatevs. i mentioned hardware profiles and that method of updating drivers to him and he knew what i was talking about but im not sure if he tried that route. at any rate when he rebooted his computer it displayed some shit about an error with wild tangent and is runing recockulously slow. were talking a 5 minute process required to open solitare. i dont know many specifics and for that i apologize, but if you have any insights as to what the fuck happened they would be greatly appreciated. when he tried to reinstall drivers for the card it took something like six hours to make it to 50% and then crashed. hes running windows xp home edition oem on a dell if that helps. sorry about the lengh and lack of info but any info/tips would be sweet.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2005
    If he's getting wild tangent errors then he's got spyware on his machine which will need to be removed. I would also suggest he does a full virus scan as well making sure that his anti-virus software is up to date.

Start up the computer from power off and as soon as it posts but before the first windows screen of any kind pops up start hitting 'F8' it should bring you into a menu that will allow you to start up in safe mode. If it boots up in safe mode in reasonable ammount of time then you at the very least probably aren't suffering from hardware errors or a beyond fixable corrupted Windows.

From safe mode you can run ad/spy removal software and your virus scan. He should also probably go through and remove his video drivers, but don't instal new ones in safe mode.

Also check to see in taskmanager where all his resources are being used to try and narrow down the problem