Lookin for a Burner, but....

ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
edited September 2005 in Hardware
OOOooK,

I am looking for a fast dual layer dvd burner. Preferably in the SATA flavor, but that seams to be difficult to find......not sure why. Is there a reason why?

I know dual layer is common, and SATA is common for sure..... HMMMmmm

Any recomendations? :help:

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2005
    The only company that I know of that makes a Sata DVD-Burner is Plextor. As for who's selling them google it the model is Plextor PX-716SA.
  • edited August 2005
    i have the samsung t-h552b dvd burner. Burned more than 150 dvd`s until now and works just fine. It is not s-ata, but why would you need a sata??? 16x on dvd is 21.6mb/s that means even if it works on ata-2 (33mb/s) it is more than enough.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Only reason for a sata burner is to get rid of the bigger ide cable. :D
  • edited August 2005
    get a round ide cable. Thats what i have on my pc andreally don`t take that space
    edited August 2005
    yea, I have several. I just don't like the placement of the IDE connecter on my mobo.

Just being picky, I'll live with it. ;)

Thinkin about this one...linky to newegg burner :cool:
  • edited August 2005
    thats what i have. But mine is white color. It is great. its been 6-8 months that i have it and didn`t make any problem. You are going to love it. This burner has a feature that tests the blank dvd and tells you witch is the higher speed you can write on them. I use verbatim dvd-r 8x speed and can burn them on 12x.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    One thing about the plextor SATA burners - be careful to make sure that your motherboard will support it. I had an MSI board (can't remember which) that absolutely would not recognize the SATA burner in the BIOS - only in windows. Therefore, to install an OS, I had to boot with a different drive plugged into the IDE port. It was a pain in the ass.
    edited August 2005
    One thing about the plextor SATA burners - be careful to make sure that your motherboard will support it. I had an MSI board (can't remember which) that absolutely would not recognize the SATA burner in the BIOS - only in windows. Therefore, to install an OS, I had to boot with a different drive plugged into the IDE port. It was a pain in the ass.

Yea, I have the same prob w/ my older single sided dvd burner. I see it in the bios, it just will not boot from it. :loco:
    edited August 2005
    Just an FYI. This is what I got I'll install it probably tomorrow. :thumbsup:

BenQ Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner - OEM

Newegg linky
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2005
    airoh69 wrote:
    i have the samsung t-h552b dvd burner. Burned more than 150 dvd`s until now and works just fine. It is not s-ata, but why would you need a sata??? 16x on dvd is 21.6mb/s that means even if it works on ata-2 (33mb/s) it is more than enough.

ATA 33 runs 33MB/sec on a good day, IN BURST. ATA/EIDE 66/100 would have no problem doing that, but since there are NO ATA100 optical devics ('Least none I've ever seen, and I've been through quite a few drives.) SATA150 averages 100-130MB fullspeed, and 150 burst. Depending on your bus width (For AMD 64 Users only) it can reach 150 full speed, if your width is 16/16. This also has alot to do with the device you're using, it's buffer, and it's own speed. A SATA optical device alone is a bad idea, unless you don't format ever, or have a floppy drive.

OmF's Ideas-
    What needs to be done for the SATA system, is a firmware driver included in a block of flash memory, simular to the bios, that way any OS could use the miniport driver included on the flash block until the system is up and running, then it can just get the full driver when it gets a chance. What gets me about SATA, is that the power molex has 13 pins, and the damn SATA cable itself only has 7.