What monitor type do you use and why?

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited September 2005 in Hardware
Does everyone here want to switch to lcd or do they like crts or what?
I personally hate lcds for several reasons, the only positive being skinny and somewhat less of a power user. I just can't stand looking at a lcd. My crts are so equally bright, distortion free, brightly colored, crisp and clear text, and flickerfree, although my "flat" one has the usually distortions around the edge which are sometimes annoying.

So, what do you use? What do you want?

Comments

• edited August 2005
    I have a 19 inch CRT which I got because the 17 inch I'd intended to buy was out of stock and this one was on offer. Took a long time to get used to the size of the thing but I like it.

TFTs are great for actual work and I always prefer to use them when I'm working or doing anything productive. I dont do any of those things at home which is why I dont have one. Also, dont want to pay over the odds for something thats going to refresh fast enough for games and that will force me to use one set resolution if I'm to get the best out of the screen.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I use a 19" CRT at home, and a 17" at work. Won't switch to an LCD till they get their heads out of there rich a$$ and really drop the prices.

Although I really want somthing smaller(flatpanel) downstairs in the livingroom for the wifey's rig soon!
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2005
    I have a CRT at home and work on a laptop at work. I much prefer the LCD screen as the res is just so much crisper. For doing work it's way easier on the eyes and you don't get glare off the screen.

I'd rather have an LCD at home, but it's just not in the budget at the moment.
  • verselloversello New
    edited August 2005
    20" Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW... it's great because:

1. It has an S-Video input.
    2. For $450 with shipping, you can't find an LCD with similar quality, value and features.
    3. It's stunningly bright and crisp.
    4. LCD's don't strain my eyes :)
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I have a 19" NEC AccuSync LCD92V.

It's beautiful and very easy to look at. When I play games, there is no ghosting whatsoever. Response times have gone down a lot in the last year. There is no reason to say that you can't find one that works well for gaming.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited August 2005
    Well the reason why I like crts more right now are:

1. cheaper
    2. stores are abandoning them (because of the manufacturers discontinuing them :()
    3. I support the underdog
    4. you can get bigger ones cheap, 19, 21, 22 ,24"
    5. many resolutions
    6. vivid colors
    7. glass
    8. no plastic foggy haze (which is actually quite like how plastic headlights are, not clear)
    9. EVEN brightness (I REALLY HATE projection tvs, HD ones are kind of ok, but still not as good as an analog crt tv)
    10. Matches my current monitors
    11. They do not have glare (mine don't)
    12. Mine are extremely easy on the eyes
    13. Mine are the clearest I recall ever seeing, textwise mostly noticable as clear
    14 You can get trinitrons!

Good enough list for now
  • verselloversello New
    edited August 2005
    usually cheap-ass LCD's have the "foggy haze" that you describe of.

also if I recall, LCD's are superior for text reading.

another advantage is widescreen.
  • edited August 2005
    also if I recall, LCD's are superior for text reading.
    Definately, with an LCD only the parts of the screen that need to be refreshed change. Its not like a CRT where the whole screen is constantly updating. Looking at a static image on a TFT like a screen full of text for example is exactly that, static.

Thats why people who tend to get eye strain and headaches from CRTs find TFTs much nicer to use.

I think thats how it works anyway...
  • ChemicalChildChemicalChild Canada
    edited August 2005
    Benq FP71G+ because refresh is 8ms and it's compact,(BF2 looks quite lovely @1280 by 1024) before this monitor I used a Samsung 997DF great monitor but huge took up way to much room!
  • edited September 2005
    Well, I love my BenQ FP71E, it's only 12ms but it's not noticable enough to annoy you. It's not particularly that I dislike CRT's, it's just such an awesome change from my old CRT that was from the 80's, and weighed 21kg.

I can't wait for my next LAN, lugging my new monitor is going to be an absolute BREEZE!
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2005
    19' CRT Gateway EV700. 1280x1024x32bit.
    I just have it. That's why.
  • edited September 2005
    24" 2405FPW

Greatest monitor EVER!