FX5600 slowdown

edited September 2005 in Hardware
I have a leadtek FX5600 (non-ultra, unfortunately). Whenever I try to clock it up a little (I've been using Rivatuner to enable driver-level OC), even by 2-3 mhz, I get a massive slowdown in game.

We're talking 7000 3D marks (2001SE) here.

What exactly is happening? I'm using the 61.77 Forcewares... Could it be that they're not suited for it, because they're not specific to the card? (The only other ones I can get to work are 77.72, and only on most games. But I haven't tried anything OLDER than the 61.77's)

Comments

• edited September 2005
    What kind of cooling does the card have??? What is your system. I have a 5600 and with some cooling mods on it i can push the card from 325/500 to 400/600. Currently i have it at 385/585 with no problem. Mine is a prolink pixelview 5600.
  • edited September 2005
    The card is amply cooled. It's only the stock HSF (leadtek one, essentially a fairly form-over-funtiony HSF with a small backplate for the RAM on the other side) but it's got a Vantec spectrum blowing over it. (two 70mm fans totaling 30cfm). The Forcewares (and speedfan) report an idle temp of 62, going up to about 70 under load.
    That's not farenheit by the way.

I have a socket 754 3200+, 512mb of Corsair c2, an MSI K8T Neo FIS2R, and a Neopower 480.
  • edited September 2005
    thats a lot. When overclocked i get a temp of 38 idle and 47 at full load. Think of a new way of cooling
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    How long have you had this card? Have you ever taken the heatsink off?

What is the temp inside of your case? room?

62 to 70 seems too high.
  • edited September 2005
    For a GPU its fairly normal. They get a lot hotter than your average CPU.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    rapture wrote:
    For a GPU its fairly normal. They get a lot hotter than your average CPU.
    You should be getting lockups if its the temps, not slowdowns.... right?

EDIT: Did more reading about your card it shouldn't hit a slowdown for temps until like 130C :eek1: wow is that high!! Im just so used to 39c to 50c for my card.

So.... it must be a problem w/ the card or drivers. so I still have the same question.. How long have you had this card?
  • edited September 2005
    Well I got it second hand, so I'm not sure if the HS has ever been off. But I've never removed it. 67 had always seemed a bit high to me, but I thought it was just because it was an FX, particularly an older one. That idea was supported by the low variation in temperatures (maybe 10 degrees between load and idle).

The "ambient" diode on the card itself reports a fairly consistent 28 degrees. But toward the top of the case, my diode says anywhere between 20 and 30. It just depends on how long the PC has been on, and what time of day.

In answer to your question, yes, lockups would be the issue, not slowdowns.

I did some experimenting earlier today, while I can't turn off side-band addressing (I've got a crappy MSI board), I disabled fast-writes and tried again, to see if that was causing it. But no, alas my card was still ridiculously slow.

The only things I can really put it down to are the Forcewares not being specific for the card, or if there is some kind of SPECTACULARLY effective optimisation for the FX series... That is clock-speed dependant...

My real problem is that I can't get the Leadek drivers, they're on the site, but I don't have the time to get them...

(22mb file = long-time) > My internet plan

*sigh*
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2005
    Glock wrote:
    The card is amply cooled. It's only the stock HSF (leadtek one, essentially a fairly form-over-funtiony HSF with a small backplate for the RAM on the other side) but it's got a Vantec spectrum blowing over it. (two 70mm fans totaling 30cfm). The Forcewares (and speedfan) report an idle temp of 62, going up to about 70 under load.
    That's not farenheit by the way.

I have a socket 754 3200+, 512mb of Corsair c2, an MSI K8T Neo FIS2R, and a Neopower 480.

60C is the temp that voids your warentee on your processor. 52C is the highest safe temprature. My video card never goes over 21C. (I love you super home-made half airconditioner, half waterpump!) My motherboard, all be it a shitty ass ECS Nforce4 A939 (1.0) will shut down if ANYTHING gets to 60C. Northbridge, Processor, memory, hell, once my soundcard got a little warm, and my PC shut down. One, here's a tip. Don't overclock your video card. (Experiance shows the way here.) All you do when you overclock the core of the video card is tighten the die, and push more heat in it. Never overclock your memory, because I've had a card totally shit on me because of it. If you want better video performance, Don't buy an nvidia card, and if you do, don't go lower than a 6200, and make sure it's a leadtech, 16 pipelines max. That's what makes your power.
  • edited September 2005
    Well, 21 degrees is quite nice. Congratulations, but I'm not talking much of an OC, just enough to get some kind of appreciable difference.

It is quite a slow card... And BF2 really does push it quite hard.

As an aside, I don't think that (given their direct competion status) Ati or Nvidia are, on a general basis, any better than each other.
    No one brand or make is going to always be the best for all the cores and setups available.
  • edited September 2005
    ^Well said.
    60C is the temp that voids your warentee on your processor.
    Heh, never seen a warranty like that. 60 degrees and higher is normal for a GPU.