New system, What do you think?Hey

edited September 2005 in Hardware
Hey all. Stalked the forums for awhile but never registered. First post!

Anyway, I needed a sub-$400 box, so what do you think?

Sempron 64 Palermo core 2500+ (Plan to OC)
Chaintech MK8T8-90 Mobo
ATI Radeon X700 256MB 128-bit (PCI Express 16x)
512MB DDR400 Kingston
40GB Samsung Sata drive
52x32x52 CD-RW
Generic Case
Some generic 380w PSU

Any comments? I am finicky about my FPS in my games, but budget would not allow a faster CPU.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    the only thing I would change is the "generic PSU" -- the PSU is something that should never be skimped on. It's the only part that if it goes bad because it's a cheap piece of shit, it can actually take other things with it. I would highly recommend a trusted brand name PSU like Antec.

Other than that, it looks good. Welcome to icrontic!
  • edited September 2005
    the only thing I would change is the "generic PSU" -- the PSU is something that should never be skimped on. It's the only part that if it goes bad because it's a cheap piece of shit, it can actually take other things with it. I would highly recommend a trusted brand name PSU like Antec.

Other than that, it looks good. Welcome to icrontic!

Yeah, I was nervous about that. Worst come to worst though, I have a backup one, old yet decent. The mobo has a 20pin connector, so it should be fine. Also, is there anything About PCI Express, SATA or 64-bit systems I should know about? I used to work at a store that made systems, but left before any of these technologies came to fruition.
  • edited September 2005
    I would spend a little more on a motherboard too, always gives you a nice upgrade path in 6-12 months time when you can max out the board and build a nice system for a lot less money than you can now.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2005
    Well, the Sempron is the new Duron, and I loved the shit out of my duron.
    512mb isn't enough anymore. And Kingston isn't that good. Go with PQI next time, cheap and powerful.
    I agree about the psu comment. Generic doesn't always cut it.
    Chaintech boards are great if you don't plan to overclock, but never get an ECS board.
    Ah, the X700. Personal experiance-PCI-X uses the PCI bridge, so if you use your intergrated sound, make sure it gets full acceleration in windows, or you'll get moments with no sound when the card is loading extra data, or is doing some powerful calculations.

Other than that, I'd say next time you get 200 bucks, go 939, and get a 64 3000+.