RAM Timings... What's the deal?

edited September 2005 in Hardware
I've recently come into some conflicting information about RAM timings, specifically the fourth number.

I heard that this determines how often the RAM is 'refreshed' with voltage, and hence how long it can keep hold of the data.

For example if a big file is constantly being accessed, the bigger this number, the less often that file has to be retrieved from HDD, and sent across the bus... Or sent through CPU again... or something.

The conflict here is that everyone is selling 2,2,2,5 RAM, and people always say they're the timings people dream of. Now logically fast RAM (stuff with lower CAS etc.) is going to need to be 'refreshed' with voltage more often, but does this neccesarily carry with it a performance drop?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2005
    I would actually say dream numbers would be 1.5/2/2/3. But you'd be looking at a 128mb DDR2-600 to ever think of latency like that. I'd say it is like IT. The lower the responce time, or refresh cycles, the faster and more accurate the memory is.
  • edited September 2005
    That they would... But only on certain, newer MoBos with the applicable BIOS updates.
    'Geil One' certainly looks promising.