OmegaForte's Ideas.

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited September 2005 in Hardware
Recently, I've had alot of ideas. I get them from many places. Taking a dump in the mornings, Making my breakfast, Calling my shrink, Running down christian fundamentalists who protest in the street, Eating a tuna salad sandwich.

Well, I figured since no one really gives a damn what I think, I was going to force it on you, like the goverment forces us to think we work for them, when it doesn't work that way in democracy. They work for us, since they are a goverment by the people, for the people.

Idea one: SATA's for the birds.
SATA is a good idea if you do the crap I do, but I don't use SATA, because it's too much of a pain in the genitals for me to set up, and the lack of my SATA drive complicates that further. Everyone says SATA is bettar than ATA. Sorry, you're an idiot. I run an ATA100 Hitachi Deskstar 7D160R. I can go from DMI pool check, to my desktop on XP, in 7 seconds, and I'm not exaggerating. Skype starts up with my PC, so does power-strip, and winamp. Just like Kingstons' RDRAM, It may be the future, but it sure as shit isn't now.

Idea two: PCI Expresso?!
I personally run PCI-X because it was cheaper to get an X600 on it. Such a fickle reason, but I'm glad I did it. I've noticed quite a bit of anomalies about it. One, it shares the PCI bus. Wait, A "dedicated" channel sharing resources?! Who the hell makes a graphics system that shares resources and bandwidth with something else? Intel! The people who brought you two halves of one processor. AGP does have it's bottlenecks, but an AGP system on the current systems, such as 64-bit, or the LGA-775, Would peer PCI-Express, since AGP is literally stand alone. Intel hasn't gotten anything right since the P3, maybe it's time they actually learned from the past.

Idea three: More pipes, less speed.
AMD literally invented this. The AMD64 is quad pipe, single layer. Data is cached, processed, directed, and ordered by multiple pipelines since the Thunderbird. The XP series of processors, starting with the thorton held 3 pipes, and the Barton 3200 held 6. Lower clockspeeds means lower wattage, and less heat, but with more pipelines, it can still do more work, with lower numbers. Intel's 3.6ghz Prescott has one pipeline, 2 seperate threads, feeding a single core. Not a bad idea from intel, but the P3 had two pipes, one thread per pipe.

Idea four: Nvidia, Stick to video cards.
I use the Nforce4. It sucks worse than an SIS740S. It's lying to me about my system, CPUZ says 201x8.5, 189mhz memory. Ntune says 216x8.5, 216mhz memory. Excuse me, but who do I trust? Ntune also says my system outperforms the Nvidia Baseline while being UNDERCLOCKED!! Nvidia, if you're going to do something wrong, stick to what you know.

Idea five: More affordable Solid-State drives.
Now this is something I can sink my teeth into. My up-and-coming project is going to need a decent hunk of space that can withstand vibration, and maybe the occasional crash, or extreme changes in momentum. I've seen something from gigabyte, Uses DDR200, 4gigs max, 150 for the card, nearly 400 for the memory. 3.3v to power 4 sticks of 2.5 DDR. Not a bad idea for the beginner to mobile computing. I've seen alot of other solid-state soloutions, all ranging from 890-25,000 USD. I plan to spend around two grand on materials alone, save the computer, which is gonna run me 700, since I'm going for a mini-itx soloution.

Well, this is it for now. What do you guys think?