overclocking athlon 64 3000+

edited September 2005 in Hardware
Ive currently got an abit an8-v motherboard with an athlon 64 3000+ Its running at its standard 1.8ghz but i am eager to try and overclock it. Had no real hassles overclocking my xp 2000 but there seem to be far too many variables involved now that I know nothing about. Is there any sort of overclocking software where i can just set the desired total speed output? I am totally clueless when it comes to setting voltages and the like. stepping factor and other things are also confusing me. would u guys advise staying at 1.8, is it dangerous to mess with?

Comments

• Nive11enNive11en Europe
    edited September 2005
    You have to be able to check what your temperature on the cpu is. You have to know what kind of cooling you got on your cpu as well. Myself I have a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu (all copper) and I can overclock my A64 2800+ (NewCastle core) from 1.8GHz to 2.475GHz and it's perfectly stable. I went up to 2.6GHz actually, Windows booted, but it was unstable.

We can help you Robkeane, but you need to do much research yourself. There is no one "magical button" way to do it fast and sweet. A vital part in overclocking is your ram and to how much you can overclock it.

I suggest you find a forum about your motherboard, and find some tutorial that explains all the bios settings in your motherboard, preferably one written by a user of the AN8-V, not the Abit company.