boot up time

ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Hardware
This is probly more software, then hardware, but just not sure whats up.

My wifes system to me takes too long to boot up. now, I am used to my A64 so it could very well be my total lake of patince. :p

Her system is... Athlon XP 2700+ on an msi mobo KT333, w/ 512MB ram, WinXP home OS on a WD 20G 5400RPM hard drive.

Its about as up to date on the on drivers and software as I can get it. No spyware or viruses to date and current scans show nada.

It's set up w/only one user to auto log in. OK, from the moment the bios boot info flashes away until the desktop is visible is 1 minute and 53 seconds.

Am I crazy or what......nevermind that question......too long or what?

Comments

• LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited October 2005
    dang.. and i thought mine takes long! ;)
    i have a lot of folders on my desktop so i figure that doesn't help much with my boot time. :rolleyes:

have you cleared unnecessary programs that run at startup?

LIN
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    yup, not much that starts up.....office, and a little weather progie.

I actualy just uninstalled Norton AV and installed AVG, now that... cut some time on startup. NAV = SUCK
  • edited October 2005
    You could always log with bootvis to see whats going on.
  • edited October 2005
    XP home on that kind of HDD (read: Slow-ass), with an early-generation (albiet, still fairly capable) CPU is going to be slow as hell, despite the 512mb.

How long does BIOS take?
    You can cull a few secs. by disabling other boot devices and floppy-seek.
    If that board has a RAID controller, disabling it will seriously speed things up.

Basically, 1.53 (with NAV... I know your pain) is quit normal, if nothing terribly interesting. :)
    My xp1800+, 256mb C2, KT266A (w/Win2k & NAV) loads in about 2min, and it's tweaked to the hilt. So you're not doing too bad.

Finally, you might have the BIOS ram check still enabled. This will probably take about 10 secs. on that machine. It's under "enable fast-boot" or something of the like.
  • LiLbRoLiLbRo Troy, Michigan
    edited October 2005
    Glock wrote:
    Basically, 1.53 (with NAV... I know your pain) is quit normal, if nothing terribly interesting. :)
    My xp1800+, 256mb C2, KT266A (w/Win2k & NAV) loads in about 2min, and it's tweaked to the hilt. So you're not doing too bad.

I have a 1700+, with 512 PC2100, and a WD 80 gig 7200 rpm drive, and its takes about 25 secounds....
    edited October 2005
    here is the bootvis screenshot. :(
  • edited October 2005
    So there you have 43 seconds of disk grinding and no CPU usage. Is the drive that slow all the time?
    edited October 2005
    yah, I guess, never gave it much thought, cuz its the wifes and i don't use it much. I have a 80Gb WD 7200 RPM ide running along side of it for extra space, but that 20 is slow I guess. Anything I could do besides slapin a fresh OS on a faster drive?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2005
    It'll be slow but shouldn't be 2 mins slow. NAV will effect it but not normally that much. Unless you have the default NAV settings in place in which case at boot time it'll start a system scan so that it's scanning every file as it's loading that'll have a massive impact.

Asside from doing the standard - dissable what isn't needed path. Have you done a surface scan and a defrag. If it's been a long time (even if she's not doing massive file transfers) it can significantly improve performace if her disk is badly fragmented.
    edited October 2005
    thats just it, NAV no longer exists on this PC. Weeks ago in uninstalled NAV and went w/ AVG. The drive has been defragged.

1 program was dissabled from starting up and the boot time went down, but the initial 43 seconds of HD activity and no CPU usage is still there.
  • NYCDrewNYCDrew NYC(duh)
    edited October 2005
    How bad was the drive fragged before you de-fragged it? Also was XP originally a fresh install, or was it an upgrade from another OS?
    edited October 2005
    NYCDrew wrote:
    How bad was the drive fragged before you de-fragged it? Also was XP originally a fresh install, or was it an upgrade from another OS?
    Not very, I keep up with defrag regularly.

It was a fresh install of XP-home.;)

Havent seen you here in a while man, glad to see ya again!!!! :thumbsup:
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2005
    Check your network settings and if it's set to DHCP set it static. I've had that happen before where it would take forever to negotiate the IP addy.
    edited October 2005
    I'll check it tonight, thanks guys!