New board & cpu

KholdKhold KY
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Just got a new cpu & board...Asus K8N + AMD Sempron 2800+ Palermo 1.6mhz.

Any good or bad you guys know of when it comes to this particular board? I know I cant adjust the cpu clock multiplier, its stuck at 8.

I OC'd it from 1.6 to 2.0mhz bumping the HTT from 200 to 250. Set the ram divider to 266. I have PC 2700 333mhz ram. Set the HT from 4 to 3...goes from 1 - 4. <--not familiar with that.

According to ClockGen and CPU-Z everything seems to going fairly smooth:
Memory running at 166.67...AGP 66.96...PCI 33.34. Temp is 42c...not sure on how this Sempron handles temps yet, was used to playing with XP Bartons.

Any input I would appreciate, dont want to fry this board/cpu...money dont come cheap when your married :shoot:

Specs:

Asus K8N Nforce3 250, DDR400
AMD Sempron 2800+
1 gig PC 2700 333mhz ram...1 512-2x256
Onboard 8 channel audio
XFX 6600GT 128ddr
ThermalTake Volcano 7+
Antec 350 psu

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2005
    You have a couple options. First is to add more cooling via a couple more fans. You psu isn't bad but I'd consider bumping it to at least 400, preferably 450 if you are bumping more fans. OCing will put more strain on the psu so even if it can handle it it'll be rougher on it.

The other option is just don't OC it. Save the ware and tare on your hardware and just use it as is. That's really all there is on the subject. With OC'ing even hardware that is typically reliable (which your rig is) may have some minor inperfection in it that comes out when you OC it. It's simple facts. You OC something and there are no guarantees. There are expectations but if you can't afford to risk blowing something then why bother.

But watch the temperatures keep in mind the stability and if everything seems ok it probably is.
  • KholdKhold KY
    edited October 2005
    Forgot to mention I have 1 intake fan and 2 exhaust fans...3 exhaust if you count the one on the psu. Did have 3 intakes but when the cpu/mobo that was in this case before it fried I gave my brother 2 fans to go in his. I could turn 1 of the intakes around.

The cpu temp I posted was incorrect...that was the mobo temp. The cpu was actually running at 39c with the fan running at 6200+ rpm. The 42c was the board temp. Wrote down the wrong one when I checked it in the bios. Asus doesnt have a temp prog for this board it seems.

I couldnt use the copper heat sink that came with the TT Volcano 7+, it wouldnt mount on the 754 board. Took the fan off and put it on the Semprons stock aluminum heat sink...actually its larger than the Thermal Takes, but the copper would have been better.

I dont think I am gonna push this board past 2.0mhz...just wish I could have done it by using the clock multiplier some instead of just the fsb.