hibernation issues... how to disable it

kamuellkamuell formerly NOLA, now DC
edited October 2005 in Hardware
i have a laptop that i'm trying to keep "awake" non-stop so that people can RDC into it at any time.

i've disabled hibernation and set all power settings to "never" (i.e. never turn off monitor, hard disks, etc etc)

yet still it keeps going into sleep mode whereby someone has to manually press the power button to get it back to the login screen.

anyone know how to completely disable this feature? or perhaps some other solution (like making the mouse move constantly, etc)?

thanks!

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2005
    If you don't have admin rights on the laptop you can't change the power settings and have them stick.

Also check in your bios it could be coded in there.
  • kamuellkamuell formerly NOLA, now DC
    edited October 2005
    all setting were changed in the admin logon.

also, i should be more specific - i think its "Standby" mode its going into, not hibernation. cause really what happens is the monitor turns off and the power light fades in and out. when i press the power button, it immediately brings up the logon screen. that sounds like standby to me.

i checked the bios and the only thing in there is the speedstep feature... not sure if that would impact tho, since i have the AC power plugged in the whole time.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2005
    Speedstep won't drop it into hybernation mode.

You said you changed the settings in admin mode, but when you log in are you still using admin mode. Becasue only admin mode will have the elevated power structure because if you log in as a regular user it'll keep the default power schedule.
  • NYCDrewNYCDrew NYC(duh)
    edited October 2005
    Is the profile on power settings set for laptop? It might have built in power saving, especially if it's running on battery.