New PC

edited November 2005 in Hardware
I'm coming up with a list for my buddy, he has a $2000 (Aus) price limit.
Here's what I have so far:

Antec TX1050B File Server Case (500W) $209.00
Samsung 52x32x52 16x DVD Black $51.90
LITEON 16X DVD ROM BLACK $36.80
AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ (2.0GHz 1MB 939) $531.20
Seagate 250G 7200 8M (ST3250823A) $157.30
Microsoft Interne/Multimedia Black Box $26.40
PQI TURBO 1024MB(2x512) PC3200 DUAL $158.30
Samsung 17" 740N LCD Monitor - Black 8ms $368.10
ASUS A8N5X (939) PCI-E DDR400 $144.00
Logitech MX-310 Optical $38.50
Geforce 6200 128MB DDR (64Bit) DVI PCI-E $154.30
Creative Audigy 2 Value $96.30

His main priorities are low-level gaming and sound recording/mixing. He's also a constant browser and wants it to last a while.
Any suggestions?

Edit: Sorry 'bout the formatting, it was all lined up in the message box.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2005
    seems good. Though personally I'd look to save about $100 on the case and put it into a better monitor. I'd also switch the samsung burner to an LG but that's more a personal preference and I also have had rotten luck with Seagate drives, but again that's more personal experience then anything.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Id say close to what Kryyst said, except id say loose the..
    Geforce 6200 128MB DDR (64Bit) DVI PCI-E $154.30. Go for a Geforce 6600 128MB PCI-E for what willl probably be less. I know you said low level gaming, but you can get more for less goin to that level.
    Also, if you don't need two dvd drives, don't get the second one for now and put that money towards somthing else like a higher quality soud card then the "value" since he wants to do sound recording/mixing. Drives are EASY upgrades for later.
    edited November 2005
    Hmmm now this may be heresy to some people here. But the reality is if he's serious about media recording he's actually much better off with a MAC. Though I don't know what sort of $$$ you are looking at to score a MAC Aus. However for $2000 here you can get a MAC that will blow the socks off a PC when it comes to media handling. The Hardware is superior for handling it and the Software available like Garage Studio is incredible.
  • edited November 2005
    I hadn't realy thought about it much, largely because it's going to also be a family computer. I doubt his parents could work their way round a Mac.
    Also note that my $2000 is roughly equivalent to your $1450.
    So, Mac = Costly.
  • edited November 2005
    A quick question. What would be the next logical step up from the value? I was trying to avoid paying for superfluous features but I really don't know the Audigy range that well. Is there any significant sound quality difference across the range of Audigy 2's?
    edited November 2005
    Glock wrote:
    I hadn't realy thought about it much, largely because it's going to also be a family computer. I doubt his parents could work their way round a Mac.
    Also note that my $2000 is roughly equivalent to your $1450.
    So, Mac = Costly.

Ok so a MAC is probably a bit out of the price range. But as terms of use go they are extremely easy to work your way around. Plus given that they are virtually immune to spy/ad/virus's it makes keeping them running for a family much easier. If you factor in that their disk writing tables are infinitely better then FAT or NTFS it makes the need to defrag irrelivent. They are different and at first glance they may seem more difficulty to someone who's never used one before. But after a little looking around they are far more intuitive then Windows.

Anyway that's the end of my MAC rant. But even for $1450 you can get a good MAC not a Dual G5 mind you but probably a G4 which is still a hell of a powerful machine especially when it comes to multi-media apps.