How To Run 5 Monitors

edited December 2005 in Hardware
I want to run 5 monitors on my computer. What is the best way to do this? I don't have any PCI express slots on my motherboard. Right now I am currently running an ATI AGP card (which I am going to replace because it's not getting along with the NVidia) and a 2 year old NVidia dual monitor card. Any ideas of how to do this inexpensively? Can I just run one more PCI dual monitor card? I know the motherboard won't have a problem with it (it will just assign a different IRQ to it) but I am not sure if the software drivers will get along to run 5 monitors at the same time. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2005
    I don't think windows even supports 5 monitors.

If it does though you should be able to just keep adding pci video cards to gain the extra monitors. I know for a fact you can run an agp and 1 pci card for dual monitors.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    taken from http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/faq.asp

Maximum number of monitors
    The maximum number of monitors isn't known, but the often-cited limit of 10 monitors on Windows 2000/XP is only a limitation of the Display Properties applet, not the system as a whole. So installing more than 10 monitors should work fine, but you would need a custom application, for example UltraMon, to configure them. See this newsgroup thread for more information.

I have tested a 12-monitor Windows XP system with 3 Matrox G450 MMS quad cards, using UltraMon for configuration. Colorgraphic has built a 16-monitor system with Xentera GT cards, and expects to be able to run up to 64 monitors
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2005
    So there you go. Just keep loading up the graphics cards and you can keep adding monitors.

One thing to keep in mind that if you are planning on running gaming you may run into some issues. Direct3d on occasion has issues with hardware acceleration when using multiple monitors. That problem has largely been reduced on Windows XP but it still crops up. Especially when you are running multiple monitors off of seperate cards.

Though I'm guessing thatn if you are bothering with a 5 monitor rig gaming isn't your primary intent.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Just for curiosity's sake, why do you want to run 5 monitors at once?
  • edited November 2005
    Valid question, IMO, 5 seems an odd, not to mention frivolous amount.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    don't think were gonna find out.:bored:
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    5 screens = M0re R00m for Pr0n!!!
  • edited December 2005
    This is a simple thing , if you have some money you can buy a vga spliter some of these support 16 moniters . It is so simple , isn't it ? yeh :thumbsup: