How's the server now?

kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
edited November 2005 in Hardware
So now that you have those 4 beautiful xeon chips installed how's the server running?

Comments

• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    hey kryyst, i got the wrong vrms, im ordering the right ones today.

thanks for opening a thread about this, ill keep you all updated.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2005
    Is it just this website that is running on the server or do you have other applications as well?

I'm surprised there would be so much load on it even with just the one processor.

What os are you using?
    edited November 2005
    win2k3
    edited November 2005
    win2k3 no wonder you need the CPU's. Why not run linux for a webserver it'd be so much faster. I predict you'd double the speed.
    edited November 2005
    ya ya linux rules, windows sucks blabla bla.... (sorry man, im in a pissy mood)

i just have my reasons to run this server on win2k3.
    and i seriously doubt the 2x the speed comment.

anyways, ill keep u all updated on the VRMs
    edited November 2005
    citrixmeta wrote:
    ya ya linux rules, windows sucks blabla bla.... (sorry man, im in a pissy mood)

i just have my reasons to run this server on win2k3.
    and i seriously doubt the 2x the speed comment.

anyways, ill keep u all updated on the VRMs

I'm not saying you are a fool for running 2k3. But I bet you'd see drastic load reduction on your cpu's. However that is if you are just using it as a web server.

Debian linux set up just running as a webserver with apache, php4, mysql 4.1 possibly email service but that's minor. Then all you probably want on top of that is clam. No gui interface installed, let alone running. Just have it boot into shell and then for configuring it all use webmin. Webmin is a web interface that basically gives you access to every config/exe script that you need. Runs very lean.

Right now I've got a dell p4 2.8 with 256 ram acting as a intranet webserver, anti-virus scanner, web proxy filter and spam filter. It's got no issues keeping up at all with 100 users passing through it.

Though since it's been working well I got the go ahead to upgrade so I'm dropping in a dellsc430 running PentiumD 3.0ghz with 2gig ram and two 80gig sata's. Should run well.

Not trying to give you a hard time or anything. Hell my brother runs a small web hosting company and they use 2k3 there. Though he's the black sheep of the tech geek family ;)
    edited November 2005
    sorry for the bad reply man, i was having a shitty day :)
    the vrms will come in shortly.

i guess what i was trying to say was, since IIS and sql were hogging some cpu, i figured another cpu wouldnt hurt.
    but then, i got a deal for 4, so i said what the heck :)

can u find out if mysql will actualy work with 4 cpus?!
    edited November 2005
    citrixmeta wrote:
    sorry for the bad reply man, i was having a shitty day :)
    the vrms will come in shortly.

i guess what i was trying to say was, since IIS and sql were hogging some cpu, i figured another cpu wouldnt hurt.
    but then, i got a deal for 4, so i said what the heck :)

can u find out if mysql will actualy work with 4 cpus?!

Don't worry about it.

Yeah 3 more cpus's certainly wouldn't hurt on a windows boxen.

Now as for Mysql and a quad setup. From what I've read it will certainly run on the system but from the sounds of it there is no additional gain with 4 cpu's specifically for Mysql. There is a flag you can set to tell it to use x number of cpu's. But beyond dual you won't notice a speed increase. However overall you'll still get a benefit since the system will be running faster. However from the sounds of it mysql specifically just doesn't need 4 cpu's. It's kinda like saying would Paint run faster on a quad cpu. Well no it wouldn't, that doesn't make paint suck though it's already runs lean. Mysql is also less of a system pig then sql server.

One area though where you will always gain improvements from on Mysql and linux in general is RAM. Linux doesn't need a ton of RAM but the more you give it the more it will put it to use. Unlike windows that doesn't really take advantage of the RAM it's been given.