Suggested upgrade

edited December 2005 in Hardware
Current specs:

AMD Sempron 2500+ OCed from 1.4GHz to 1.59GHz
1GB DDR400 memory
Sapphire Radeon X700 OCed (Can't remember clocks)
MSI Neo3 nForce4 motherboard
36.7GB WD Raptor HDD
40.0GB SATA Samsung HDD
52x32x52 CD-RW
4x DVD-ROM
RaidMax 420W PSU

With my next paycheck, I'm getting either an Athlon 64 3700+ or a Geforce 6800 GS. And as much as I want that GS, I need a new proc pretty badly. I plan on maxing out my 754 and waiting until the M2 socket 'till I upgrade again, so future ugpradeability isn't an issue. I expect to pay a $200 and some change for either one.

I think I'm getting that Athlon. But what do you guys think? Also, I'd order from the Egg, so if you see any better prices please let me know! Thanks for your suggestions!

And leave me alone about the power supply. I'm getting a new one soon. :thumbsup:

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I haven't looked around in a while, but IMO you would benefit from more CPU power. Careful on going too high on the 754 socket, If I remember there is'nt squat for performance increase above a 3400+..... I'll look later today.
  • verselloversello New
    edited November 2005
    Check froogle.com and pricewatch.com for an aggregated source of prices.
    edited November 2005
    Any luck Zach?
  • edited November 2005
    Get paid tomorrow! Yayz

EDIT: Yeah, thanks for the tip Zuntar. Although the series offers better number crunching as you go higher, the price/performance ratio kinda turns to shit. I'll prolly be picking up a 3400+. :D
    edited November 2005
    zach wrote:
    Get paid tomorrow! Yayz

EDIT: Yeah, thanks for the tip Zuntar. Although the series offers better number crunching as you go higher, the price/performance ratio kinda turns to shit. I'll prolly be picking up a 3400+. :D
    SWEET!!!!! me wants one, but no upgrades for me...... I vow to only upgrade once every two years.
  • edited November 2005
    I vow to only upgrade once every two years.
    That must be so hard... I get itchy if I leave it more than 6 months. 300gb hard drive and a new PSU for me last weekend :)
  • edited November 2005
    I ordered my upgrade. In fact, it's being installed as I type this!

Front brake pads and rotors for my Sebring Convertible.

God damnit.

I think my baby deserves it though.
    edited December 2005
    rapture wrote:
    That must be so hard... I get itchy if I leave it more than 6 months. 300gb hard drive and a new PSU for me last weekend :)
    Oh ya, when i m not counting small stuff, like storage and drives and mods, just core componants like graphics, processor, MB, and RAM.

BTW :thumbsup: on the new parts, whatcha get??!!1:devious:
  • edited December 2005
    I picked up a 300GB SATA Maxtor with 16MB cache and an Akasa PowerPlus 550. The hard drive is just a hard drive, needed the space... The PSU however is very, very nice... Link here.