USB 2.0 to Serial ATA adapter - are they available?

JLamyJLamy UK
edited November 2005 in Hardware
As title - I would like to connect a serial ATA hard disk to USB port. At the moment I am using a USB 2.0 to IDE adapter for my 'older' IDE hard disks and works good. I have tried looking on ebay and various computer parts sites, but have not found such a device.

Comments

• edited November 2005
    We had a situation like this at work. We ended up getting a SATA to IDE converter, slamming it into the drive, and then shoving into an external USB 2.0 enclosure. Worked fine. :)
  • JLamyJLamy UK
    edited November 2005
    zach wrote:
    We had a situation like this at work. We ended up getting a SATA to IDE converter, slamming it into the drive, and then shoving into an external USB 2.0 enclosure. Worked fine. :)
    Nice. Can you get SATA to IDE converters then? Cos I've only seen IDE to SATA converters. I'm surprise that the drive plus a converter could fit in your enclosure.
  • edited November 2005
    Yeah the enclosure was meant for 5.25 drives, so lots of breathing room.

Here: http://geek.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=3152857
  • JLamyJLamy UK
    edited November 2005
    zach wrote:
    Yeah the enclosure was meant for 5.25 drives, so lots of breathing room.

Here: http://geek.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=3152857
    Ah, OK. Can you get SATA TO IDE converters in external form, meaning the PCB is protected by a case.
  • edited November 2005
    Eeh, I dunno about that. Probably not, since most converters are meant to be used inside a PC. Good luck with that, though.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2005
    JLamy wrote:
    Ah, OK. Can you get SATA TO IDE converters in external form, meaning the PCB is protected by a case.

Well you can always just mount the whole thing inside an external ide-usb box. Besides unless this is a perminent thing it doesn't really mater.