Best pci videocard for Linux?

citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
edited November 2005 in Science & Tech
Hey everyone,

i just scored a neat little server for me to fool with.

its a compaq proliant 800 dual Ppro 200mhz, im gonna install some linux distrib. on it and fool with it.

the question i have today is, since this is an old server mobo, i was wondering what the best (enuff to play videos/movies) pci based videocard was, also, i need to it to be compatible with most linux distribs.

i know currently there is this war going on with ati and nvidia.

any ideas?

Comments

• edited November 2005
    Anything Nvidia based, ATi can't even manage Windows drivers. From what I hear the Linux drivers are a complete waste of time.
  • edited November 2005
    Yeah, grab an old used 2 or 4 series GeForce card. ATI has horrid support for Linux.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2005
    I think you are going to have a hard time playing back video on a dual p200. Also the old ATI video cards are fine on linux, it's the newer ones that aren't supported as well. The old geforce cards actually had worse support. However since you are dealing with a new distro of linux and not one as old as the hardware you are running it on you should have no problems regardless of what video card you install on it.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    ya i figured video would be a problem..

i guess what i would use this for is mostly, running some rdp sessions, MP3 playback, some light gimp work and html.