Wireless Internet Connection question

edited December 2005 in Hardware
I started to use wireless internet connection recently. I found that the signal is the same all the time. I have not change locations of the wireless router and the PCI wireless card. Usually the signal is "good" in the day time and change to "low" in the evening. It seems that in the internet peak hours (evening) the signal is low and the speed in downloading is slow as well. Is this normal?

Comments

• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    well, the internet (WAN) connection has nothing to do with the signal strength..

so im guessing something is messing up the signal in the evening..
    got any cordless phones in the house/building?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2005
    There are really only 2 common things that will strongly effect your wifi connection they are cordless phones in the 2.x hz range and microwave ovens. If you live in a house then you should be able to tell instantly when this is happening, since every time you are on the phone or turn on the nuker your wifi signal will cut out. If you are in an appartment building then it's going to be much harder to tell since you don't know what other people are doing in the rest of the buildings.

A few things you can do to help the problem - if this is what it is. If possible put your antenna and your computer in as much a direct line of sight as possible since that will decrease the level of interference. You can also get antennas that boost the signal out put. Beyond that there's not much you can do you are at the mercy of outside interference. But like Citrix said your internet connection won't effect your wifi speed. It's like suggesting that your internet connection will effect the speed of your mouse. They just aren't releated.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Another thing to check is the number of networks in your area. If you have networks in the neighborhood that are running on the same channel (within plus or minus 5) it can interfere. I like using Network Stumbler. It'll tell you what other devices are nearby and then you can adjust your wireless router to a less noisy channel.