BIOS Update Misadventure

edited December 2005 in Hardware
So last night I saw there was an update for my MSI K8N Neo Plat so I did the usual IE based Windows BIOS flash.

I knew things were going badly when I saw how slowly it was progressing. With checking, downloading, updating and the restart it usually take 5 minutes at the most but 15 minutes later its still updating.

Finally got to the end of the progress bar and I see the error...

Verify Failed!!

Oh noes!!11 I decided I would kill some processes, restart the winflash application and give it another go. Bad idea.

As soon as I killed Winflash my system rebooted, I'm guessing that’s a 'feature' which is supposed to reboot your system after a successful update but in this case it just managed to brake my machine.

Luckily I have a spare Neo Plat after an odd RMA incident some months ago I've not got around to doing anything with yet so I removed the BIOS chip from there and plugged it in. That’s when the fun really started.

I was getting this long beep followed by no boot of video output. I checked the cable and it was loose so I put that back in and tried again. Same story.

After making sure the BIOS chip was in right I pulled the machine a little closer (its wheeled) to see what was going on. I'd knocked the graphics card a little and it had come slightly out of the AGP slot. Clicked it back into place and booted first time.

I would have made a backup disk but I don’t have a floppy drive in my main machine. I'm planning on making a recovery disk some time this week to see if I can save the chip that failed to update, I will let you know how it goes.

Oh, and removing chips like that with precision screw drivers is quite a scary procedure!

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2005
    That is why I always flash from a floppy, given the option of doing so. But that doesn't help you at all. Good luck.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    OOOOooo,well.... I've used the IE based Windows BIOS flash several times without any issues. But since I have the same mobo, guess I'll be brakin that floppy drive out of the file cabinet next time and go that route!

What bios ver. are you using?
  • edited December 2005
    The chip was using 1.90, I think the latest version is 2.10. I've used live update for 4 years without problem on this board and an MSI 6330. I think this chip is 1.40.

I think it was just one of those things...
  • edited December 2005
    Good thing that asus has 2 bios. The one works as backup. If the normal bios fail then it resets it to the original bios that exists on the other chip.