pc wont shut down?????

BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Same mobo, PC CHIPS M810LMR with REV 3.0. I installed win2k pro and had no problems. It shut down like an atx should. When I started to do the service packs and critical updates is when my shut down went on vacation. Since the updates started it now acts like an old AT computer. It gets to the point of saying, "It is now safe to turn your computer off", then I have to manualy press the power switch to shut down. What happened, where? I've looked all over the setup (bios, cmos) with no reference to this issue. No jumpers were changed:(

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2005
    Normally that feature is just dependant on a bios that suports shutdown commands from the OS. However as to why it was doing it before and not now who knows. It's one of windows little charms. Could be something got changed ine one of the patches, or winlogon.exe got screwed up. But you can fix that by doing this.

Open regedit and find the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Create a string value and name it: PowerdownAfterShutdown set the value to 1 to have your computer to Powerdown after shutdown.

Restart Windows....and it should be fixed. If you set the value to 0 it'll restart automatically after a shutdown.