AMD Sempron cpu?

BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Been out of touch a little lately with current CPU's. Looking at mobo/cpu combo that comes with a Sempron 64 2500+ cpu. I know aready it isnt top of the line, but for just surfin, ebayin, and emailing is all my wife does. Currently running a AMD 750mhz in her pc and she complains sometimes about it being slow? Is the SEMPRON worth the scratch?:confused:

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2005
    BruceY wrote:
    Been out of touch a little lately with current CPU's. Looking at mobo/cpu combo that comes with a Sempron 64 2500+ cpu. I know aready it isnt top of the line, but for just surfin, ebayin, and emailing is all my wife does. Currently running a AMD 750mhz in her pc and she complains sometimes about it being slow? Is the SEMPRON worth the scratch?:confused:

That's plenty of speed for a non-gaming machine (hell even most gaming would be fine). The big savings are that on a rig for your wife you don't need to go all out on the video card. Also no need to go over 512mb of ram, and even 256mb of ram would do the job with little noticeable slow down (though 512 is much better). You can also cut corners by dropping in sub 100gb hard drive and no need for SATA.
  • BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
    edited December 2005
    Thank you sir this is what I'm considering http://www.cpspc.com/ask8amdse642.html
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2005
    I've never dealt with CPS but seems like a pretty good price.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    good price.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited December 2005
    You might also try upgrading the 750mhz computer. It might be a little pricey, it might not, depending on what ads are running and if newegg or whoever has the faster cpus for sub 40 bucks.

I basically had a 750mhz compaq duron pc in which I thought was crap for the longest time, but then I got the cpu upped to 1300 (now 1350 because I broke the old one and the 1800 duron was a hell of a lot cheaper than the 1300 duron, I wonder why???). Both cpus cost about $39 final cost, with the 1300 being a retail version. I also upped the memory from 64 megs sdr 100 to 768 sdr 133 (3 times $15 a stick), wow what a difference that made! I also then tried different hard drives (all simply quieter, still same 7200 rpm) and reformatted the windows me to xp. I then have made it virtually 100% spyware, adware, popup, etc. free and it still works great, with no sign of slowing down since last reformat a year and a half ago. ~~moral of story: for not too much cost and a little effort a "slow" computer can perform just as good as a new expensive one, with the exception of 3d game performance, which my compaq severely lacks, being the sd ram bottleneck is there)