Machine Check exception

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited January 2006 in Hardware
Ok, Since XP doesn't like the idea of actually SAVING a dump, I can't get the code. Specs are as follows.

AMD Athalon 64 3000+ downclocked to 1.6 (For a damn good reason.)
ECS Nforce4 A939 1.0
PQI Power 512mb DDR400
Matrox Millennium.

All I know is, that I was trying to install Baldur's Gate 2 from CD, since I actually own it, and wham-o-la. Machine Check Exception. Now, I would be using a Biostar GeForce6100-M9, but I get that same error every 4-6 hours on it. I think my chip is screwed, but I lack funds to replace it. I've read some stuff that indicates it's a Cache error. I believe the code was 9C, but I can't be sure.

Edit:// I thought about it some more, and I think this may be rather relevant too. Just before I did the disk insert to install BG2, I had just finished burning a mp3 cd for tomarrow when I'm working in my garage. Now if someone tells me to recreate the error, I'm gonna mail you a dead skunk. (Kidding.) I don't wanna risk driving the last nail in. If I lose everything in this PC, I lose next to nothing. My memory is insured for my life, your life, and maybe your pup skipper's life. And that's all that matters. Both the board and the chip have had a run-in with Rosewill memory, and magically, they both came out reletivly working. ECS won't repair the board, nor reimburse me for THEIR screwup, saying that the board is 266/333/400, when it won't read 266 or 333. But, any information is appreciated.

Solved. My burner is being a tool.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2006
    Now is this error only happening with Baldur's Gate or is it now happening on everything you do since you've tried to install Baldur's Gate?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2006
    No. My biostar cranked them out whenever it wanted to. My ECS board just gave me the first one. I'm chalking it up to fluke. But I still wanna learn more about the error. Microsoft provides a good overview, but I'm no newbie.

Edit:// I got bored and tried to install BG 2 again. Same error. So I'm thinking it's got something to do with my disk interface. I'll screw around with my chain for awhile.

Edit://Edit2/ I don't MCE when I do a bus probe, so it's not having to do with the bus, and the CPU can eat hotCPUtester...So, Dunno. If it's my ATA chain, I'll lose my DVD burner. (Noes!)

Edit://Edit3/ I tried to install Morrowind from it, and I got the error. So I'm thinking the drive may be bad?