Dead mobo......?

ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
edited April 2006 in Hardware
Ok, here is a link to my post at SM http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41332

What would you do?

Comments

• edited January 2006
    Try reformatting the pc. I had this problems a few days ago. I flashed my bios to the newest and the pc wouldn`t work. Reformated but it was freezing at windows start UP. I suggest to put the bios version you had before and give it a try. Also try removing some parts out of your pc. The Power Supply may going down and not giving enough power. When windows try to start it consumes a lot of power-> not enough power-> PC freeze.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    but I am getting lots of repeatable memtest errors from that mobo, slap the mem in the wifes rig and not a one error. gotta be theslots are bad, right?

PSU doesn't fluctuate on the rails at all, I should and will spend more time on this possibility, but I think the PSU is fine.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2006
    Sounds like your bios got fubared in the flash. Did you get anything weird when you were flashing it?

Also have you tried resetting all the bios features to factory default it's possible that somewhere along the progress all your timings got messed up.

The missing file could be two things. Some garbage message that windows put out, not because the file is missing but just because windows crapped out at that time. OR windows has crapped out so many times during boot up that that file got corrupted. Either is a likely event. I'd suggest double checking your bios and then do a repair install. Or if you have a spare hard drive do a clean install on it.
    edited January 2006
    kryyst wrote:
    Sounds like your bios got fubared in the flash. Did you get anything weird when you were flashing it?
    Nope, flashed just fine.
    kryyst wrote:
    Also have you tried resetting all the bios features to factory default it's possible that somewhere along the progress all your timings got messed up.
    The timings are set correctly (factory settings) and Bios is at default settings for everything else. I have flashed it back from the 2.10 bios to the 1.8 bios with no effect.
    kryyst wrote:
    The missing file could be two things. Some garbage message that windows put out, not because the file is missing but just because windows crapped out at that time. OR windows has crapped out so many times during boot up that that file got corrupted. Either is a likely event. I'd suggest double checking your bios and then do a repair install. Or if you have a spare hard drive do a clean install on it.

I did have to replace the file that was corrupt and if I have only one stick in the first slot it will boot and be fine (memtest ok, windows no problem)

The only thing that I have not tried is to flash it back to the original BIOS that I had before all this started, what do you think?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2006
    Zuntar wrote:
    I did have to replace the file that was corrupt and if I have only one stick in the first slot it will boot and be fine (memtest ok, windows no problem)

The only thing that I have not tried is to flash it back to the original BIOS that I had before all this started, what do you think?

I missed that part about it working in one slot with no problems. Yeah sounds like your mobo may be done. I had a ram slot die on my (now aged) mobo. But I had 4 slots originally so running with only 3 active slots is fine and hasn't been a problem for about a year and a half now.

You can try flashing your bios back to it's original version. But I have a feeling you've lost a ram slot on your mobo. Actually now that I think about it when mine went I was having the same problems you are experiencing.
  • edited January 2006
    Is it too late to RMA the board? You could always pick up something cheap and wait for AM2...
  • edited January 2006
    When you are using any 2 slots of the ram, it does this problem, or when you use a specific ram slot.
    edited January 2006
    Yea, dispite my desire for an upgrade, I will *cough, choke* buy another 754 mobo.

Most likely a DFI LP just for the fun of OC the snot out of it. I was never able to get that far w/ the MSI due to a know limitation w/ my mem. I have never owned an Asus and would be willing to give one a try, but not sure yet.
  • edited January 2006
    This is my 5th Asus motherboard. And the only thing that i can say is that this motherboards are perfect. But from where i ahve heard, Asus mobos are great on intel cpus, if are on amd the msi is the best
    edited January 2006
    Airoh69, sorry I some how missed your last post!! It happens in slot two and three only, which sucks cuz I have two 512M sticks.:(

I have a DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb comming to me this week anyway, so I'll just have fun with that and wait till later to upgrade.:thumbsup:
  • edited January 2006
    So the slot one iis dead. And the mobo has only 3 slots for ram. And you must use both. That Sucks
    edited January 2006
    Yup it suckith. :dead:

However, I am gettin excited about the DFI.:devious: :ninja:
    edited January 2006
    Sorry about the double post, my 2 year old like buttons!!!
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited April 2006
    Ok, this sounds like a problem I had with my ECS Nforce4 A939 and a 3000. The end result of my constant ripping into system showed me something interesting, that I was later confirmed by a few friends. The A64 line have a built-in memory controller. It ran fine until I tested a stick of my friend's Rosewill, and it literally fucked my chip in it's memory controller. Now, this is a theory for now, as I don't have the tools nor the intelligence to gather the information from the hardware, other than simple common sense. Your memory controller may have been damaged during the flash, since it uses the CPU's cache to do the flash. A64 caches have ECC, and the bios might've not been clean, or it was loaded improperly and the ECC may've changed it, and in doing so, writing it improperly. (Theoretically, this may be possible. But theories are like farts. Some you like, some may kill you.) Now, I tried the same memory in another board with the same chip (I had a similar problem from the looks of yours.) And I got Machine_check_Exceptions and hardware scrubbing errors, and everyone's favorite PAGE_FAULT_NONPAGED_AREA. I tested the memory stick by stick in another machine, and they're better than new. Well, I bought a new system recently, and used the same memory, not a problem one. That confirmed my Memory Controller theory in my case. May not be in yours, but this is My thoughts on the matter.