New System... Suggestions Needed!

NeoFXNeoFX Utah, US of A
edited February 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys - so I've run out of stuff to test with this system and it's still just rebooting on me every 5-10, 20min. (if I'm lucky) So I'm gonna go ahead and order a new mobo, cpu and
videocard. Seeing as I've ruled out the possibility of it being the ram or harddrive - the only thing it could possibly still be is the power supply, but I am doubtful since it is still fairly new and I haven't seen any weird behaviors out of it.

So what I am planning on doing is getting an AMD setup that is rock solid. I'll probly keep this computer for about a year then my parents will sell it or use it for their own or my sister since I'll be gone for a couple years on an LDS mission. Basically - I won't be doing any overclocking and I don't need the very highest end components but I want the best out of the box performance I can get here.

I was looking at an A64 3700+ San Diego, if not the 3500+ Venice for the CPU.

For the motherboard, I was lookin' at the DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR boards, but from what I've read they aren't very stable at factory settings - and then - when you do overclock, they don't last very long. Any input on this subject? I definitely would like a rock solid motherboard for this system - I do NOT plan on overclocking.

As for the videocard. I'm going to get some variation of the 7800GT. I was looking first at the BFG OC cards, but then I read something about the eVGA cards and noticed they have higher clock speeds as well. Who's got the best 7800GT card is my question!? I liked the BFG card because it came with COD2 and I am in "need" of that game, but I can always just go buy it if it saves me from paying $350+ for the card.

Anyways guys... I think that's about it. I just would like to get the most out of this "last" system I build for a few years. Thanks!

Comments

• NeoFXNeoFX Utah, US of A
    edited February 2006
    Double post! sorry!!
  • edited February 2006
    I would try and wait till socket AM2 before building a new AMD based machine. Although I've built a fair few I've never actually owned an Intel system so can't really give you any advice there.
    edited February 2006
    I know nothing of this new AM2 socket business - but I am in need of the computer now as this one I'm writing this message on now does not stay stable for more than 5-10 minutes at a time.

I'll only be needing it for about a year anyway since I'll be moving on to other things after this year is over.
    edited February 2006
    Talk about quick on the snap (w00t w00t GO STEELERS! hehe - The Bus Stops Here.) but I ordered already and I ended up going with...

A64 3700+ San Diego

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium

eVGA 7800GT CO

Ordered from ZipZoomFly w/ FREE shipping... should be here Wednesday =)
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    SWEET, you will be happy!!! good choice for the Processor!