hp laptop issue

edited March 2006 in Hardware
HP Pavilion zv5040 us laptop, 2.8 ghz P4, ATI radeon mobility 9200, 512 ram etc., etc. The issue goes as follows. Everything works fine and looks normal, then suddenly where the window is white in color will turn to aqua green. It will sometimes blink between white and aqua green, othertimes it will stay aqua for awhile then go back to white (normal). I am suspecting the ATI video chip crapping out. I assume the vid chip is soldered to the mobo so to change it out would be a chore. Any suggestions out there. thanks

Comments

• edited March 2006
    it is a mobility so it wont be a problem to change it. it looks as a gfx problem. Try blowing some air in the portable. It may need cleaning, dust tends to overheat a lot of laptops. My friend had almost the same problm, but his was turning off after doing this, After we blew air inside all got fixed
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2006
    One other thing to check if you want to narrow down the problem is connect it to an external monitor (if you have access to one) and see if the problem happens with it. It does sound like the video card is the culprit but it is possible that the lcd screen is dying.