Upgrading Need Advice

edited July 2006 in Hardware
OK so I'm going to update my very outdated system, I will list what I have now and what I was going to buy. I would like input and any suggestions from you guys. I am building this for gaming and some webdesign apps.
Current:
Mobo: Abit NF7-S
CPU: XP2600+
Video: ATI X800XT
HD: Raptor
RAM: 512MB Generic

What I was going to buy:
Mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
CPU: AMD 64 X2 3800
Video: ATI X1900XT
HD: keeping my raptor
RAM: Corsair XMS 2GB (2x 1GB)

Let me know what you think and will this be good for gaming?
I think I should see a big improvement.

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    You will see quite an improvment in the new system!!!!. I just built a system very similar to your new concept for a friend and it is quite snappy!!!

Also check out some OCZ mem sticks. These are very nice, just used them for my friend's rig!!:thumbsup:
  • edited July 2006
    Will this Ram be a good choice then?
  • edited July 2006
    Also, whats the difference between the A8N-SLI deluxe and premium?
    edited July 2006
    djray77 wrote:
    Will this Ram be a good choice then?

Not bad, but the timmings are tighter on the other ones that are cheaper.
    djray77 wrote:
    Also, whats the difference between the A8N-SLI deluxe and premium?

Not much.
    1 less PCI-E X1 slot and 1 PCI-E X4 slot in its place, also a nicer chipset heatsink.

Are you wanting to overclock this system?
  • edited July 2006
    I dont intend to overclock, just want something fast and stable stock form.
    I was just reading that AM2 is the latest and greastest socket, should I go with this instead of 939?
    edited July 2006
    Depends on whether you are game for first generation hardware and the usual/possible problems that can occur. In the long run my guess is yes, you should go AM2 for future upgrade reasons.
  • edited July 2006
    damn how did i know you were gonna say that after I ordered the above configuration LOL!! I have 1 more Q, I assume this Video card will work in that mobo right? I dont have to have 2 cards, I can just not use the other slot?
  • edited July 2006
    I did go with the A8N-SLI Premium though, it did seem a better board for not much more money. I also picked up 2GB of corsair XMS Pro ram, same as in your sig.
    edited July 2006
    djray77 wrote:
    damn how did i know you were gonna say that after I ordered the above configuration LOL!! I have 1 more Q, I assume this Video card will work in that mobo right? I dont have to have 2 cards, I can just not use the other slot?
    Yes that card should work, but you will not be able to use the SLI functionality on that motherboard, SLI is only for Nvidia based cards.;)
  • KuruptKurupt Winnipeg
    edited July 2006
    Good call on the ram!