2 Q's about Raptors

edited July 2006 in Hardware
1: I have built a gaming system with 1 74gb raptor right now (for my brother), but I was wondering if I would gain performance from 2 in a raid 0 setup?
Could someone give me some advice on this? The computer is mainly used for gaming and some PS and dreamweaver.
Thanks,

P.S. Also is there a big difference in speed between the 36gb raptor 8MB Cache and the 74GB Raptor 16MB Cache?
2: This is really weird, how come my brothers raptor bench's at 70mb/s and my raptor only did 20mb/s something seems very wrong

He has the 74gb 16mb cache and I have the 36gb 8mb cache, but with 20mb/s a IDE would be faster lol.

We have the same computers, we just got done building two new machines.

A8N-SLI
AMD 4200+ X2
X1900XT
2GB Corsair XMSPRO

Only diff is P/S he bought a new 550watt and I am using my older antec 400watt. I thought with power supplies ether it will work or not, but now im thinking maybe it has something to do with why im getting such a low HD speed? any thoughts or suggestions???

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2006
    the 75gb 16mb raptors will be significantly faster then your smaller drives because the data is more compressed the heads don't have to move as far on the platter to read the same ammount of data. Also when you combine that into the raid it means that both drives can access different data on seperate drives so that the read times overall will be faster.

Now whether or not you'll notice a huge difference in your games depends on your games. Load times will be reduced, but how much of a noticeable reduction you'll see depends on the game at hand. 70mb vs 20mb if that is what you are benching at will be a huge difference 70mb in a raid vs 70mb not in a raid is probably not going to be noticeable.
  • edited July 2006
    right now we dont have raid, we just benched the single drives.

I think there is something wrong with mine being 20mb/s this doesnt seem right to me? can these drive go bad and lose performance?

This is a good comparison http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/06/wd1500ad_raptor_xtends_performance_lead/page10.html#pcmark05_write_benchmark

it shows the 36gb being 60 and the 74 being 70, that makes sense to me, but not what I got LOL
    edited July 2006
    No yours is definitely slow, few things could slow it down. If you have indexing on, badly fragmented drive, active anti-virus, active spy-ware or perhaps a dying power supply it could throw your bench's off.
  • edited July 2006
    OK I will buy a new Antec 550w P/S and run the test again, it has to be why. Thats the only diff between the 2 systems.
    edited July 2006
    What else do you have running in your system? I found that on mine when I had a 400 in it wasn't enough to run 2 ide hdd's, 1 sata hdd, 1 cd/rw, 1 dvd/rw plus the cpu fan, vid card fan and a couple other fans. I removed the cd/rw and that got everything working. Everything seemed to be working. Then I upgraded to a 500wat PSU and realized that what appeared to be working wasn't working fully.
  • edited July 2006
    well I have 1 IDE drive and the 1 sata drive, dvd/cd burner, 3 120mm fans.
    From what Ive been told them amd x2 and the x1900 Vcards are very power hungry, and in the ATI manual it has a warning 450watt min.
    So I think this will be my first thing to change.
  • edited July 2006
    wow so much help in here LOL j/k guys.

I ordered a new 150 raptor and a antec 550watt neo P/S, hopefully that will do the trick.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    You will LOVE that new Raptor........ makes for a very zippy system!!!!:ninja:

Also the PSU should help across the board. Me likes the neo, almost got one.:thumbsup:
  • edited July 2006
    I went with this one. Not sure what the neo is other then High Efficiency?