power supply - mobo connection

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hi all,

Quick question - building a data server for the office using a Tyan Tomcat K8E which aparently takes a "newer EVS1 power supply" - not having toyed around with components for a couple years I missed that minor detail and bought the cheapest, largest case I could (also weighs like 100#). Regardless, the mobo takes a 24 pin and an 8 pin connector, the power supply comes with a 20+4 and a 4. Can I get a 20 to 24 adapter and plug the two 4s in together to the 8 or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new PS?

tia

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I know you can get adapters to use a 20 pin connecter in a 24 pin board for like $4.99 at newegg.com, but not sure about the 4 pin to eight pin.

My gut tells me that if you are building a data server for the office, you are not going to want to play around with an adapted PSU though. I would recommend getting the correct PSU for your system and DON"T get the cheapest one there is! Bad or under powered PSU's are the no.1 cause for hardware issues.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2006
    Fully agree with Zuntar. Also if you mess around with adapters and not using the proper PSU for the board your at greater risk from damage caused by power surges or power failure, assuming your UPS's fail - you do have UPS's don't you?
  • edited September 2006
    yep, you guys are totally right - I was just bein lazy and wanted it up and running right away... That said I ended up getting an Enermax Liberty 500w PS - what a nice little unit, highly reccommended for anybody looking to get a nice PS. And, yes we do have UPSs.

thanks Zuntar & Kryyst
    msquito
    edited September 2006
    My pleasure!! I like the Enermax Liberty myself, a good choice IMO!! ;)
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2006
    Okay, since this is here, I guess I'll ask my quesion. I've got a 20+4 +4 power supply. If I use the 20+4 as 24, do I have to use the extra 12V rail in the board?
    edited September 2006
    Only if the board has a seperate 4pin connecter (12V) besides the main 20+4.
    edited September 2006
    So, since my board has a 24 pin, I should still use the 12V rail in the 4pin slot too?
    edited September 2006
    YES!! they didn't put it there for good looks man, :lol: JK That is dedicated power for your cpu.
    edited September 2006
    I'm just trying to be 100% clear. I don't wanna risk a fuckup(Which I'm prone to..) and lose everything I have. So, 24+4. Got it.