Crossfire Questions

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited September 2006 in Hardware
I've got a few questions about Crossfire, and I hope to find answers here. I'd appreciate any input, except people with the Nvidia > ATI crap. Until Nvidia makes a card with a Ring Bus controller, they get no more of my time. Yeah. You might say "Do some research." I have. I couldn't find the answers I needed. I saw some crap about a 1600 chipset, but I never even heard of it in board production. Can the 3200 handle the X1600 in pairs, and since ATI says no Parent card is needed for the X1600, Two off the shelf ATI's should work. Also, does anyone know about Crossfire with third party cards?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2006
    I honestly know nothing about Crossfire. However did you check out ATI's site? They list some combinations of boards and vid cards that are CrossFire certified.

http://www.ati.com/technology/crossfire/certifiedconfigs.html

also here lists more compatibility stuff

http://www.ati.com/technology/crossfire/buildyourown.html
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2006
    Thank you for your insight.
  • edited September 2006
    I personally wouldnt bother building a crossfire or SLI system.

Unless you have stupid money to spend on 2 high end cards there isnt much point. For the same amount you would spend on 2 low or medium end cards you could get a single card that would perform better and cost you less money.
    edited September 2006
    I'm going to use Crossfire on a DFI Lanparty because of two reasons. One, the board only uses the 24 pin, and doesn't need extra power. The X1600 does not need power. Even though I've got an Aspire 500W sitting in it's box, brand new, I wanna cut down on the devices I have to power from a molex as much as I can. I've had some bad experiances with powered video cards.
  • edited September 2006
    So you're going to build a machine with a high end motherboard and a low-mid range video card?

Seems like a waste. What sort of problems have you had with powered video?
    edited September 2006
    Well, I've been through a few of them. ATI 9500. Got it from a good friend who dumped it for a 9800. It decided that it wasn't long for this world and decided to die, and take my AGP port with it. And, I'm also wary about powering things that even a small change in humidity could possibly damage, and take out other devices with it. Little paranoid.

And, I'm not gonna spend 400 dollars on a video card, when I want to learn about the bus. Two cheap X1600's will do what I want them to do, and will let me learn what I have to. It's that easy.