Coincidence or problem?

budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
edited September 2006 in Hardware
I put a new capture card in my pc yesterday....after about 5-6hrs I went back to watch a little TV and play on the PC...well after a little bit..BOOM...a huge freeze...everything...only way to get by is by manual shutdown.

WHen I restart I have no I-net. I go to my hardware and see that my network card is gone! hmmm....I figure I will mess w/ it in the morn. (2am now)...

I get up and pull another Network card out and put it in...XP recongnizes it and all is well now!

So what is it....COINCIDENCE or PROBLEM?

PS...and NO...I havent run the VCC since...I dont have enough NICs to keep blowing them if you think it is a problem. One of the problems is my MB Ethernet slot went bad...and so I have had to put in a NIC. Freakin board is out of warranty!

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2006
    Well buddy, I'm gonna tell you something you're not gonna like.

You have to debug the situation. Try it again without one in. (And if you've had your board for over a year, yeah, it's out of warranty from tiger. Newegg's warranty system sucks.) But, I thought my video card, which was brand new, was going out. I changed monitors, and lo and behold, my problem was solved. You've gotta fiddle with stuff to solve problems.
  • budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
    edited September 2006
    I went ahead and hoodked it all up and have had it going since last Friday evening...I found another NIC in another box and gave it a whirl...It will all get tested today w/ all the Football.

Will keep you posted!

TIA
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2006
    I'd say coincidence - but possibly a problem. NIC's die - they do simple as that.

But what I've found often happens (and I've done it plenty of times) is that you'll install one card and in the process another card gets slighly unseated. The thing that always bugs me is that it works for awhile. However it's just out of alignment enough that it fails either intermitently or totally. Sometimes all you need to do is remove the card re-seat it and it's good to go. Other times it gets pooched and for whatever reason I find that this happens to NIC's more often then any other card.
  • budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
    edited September 2006
    hmm...so the NIC may not be bad?

Thought....maybe i should pull it from the trash!...\

U think?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2006
    Never throw away a suspect component until it's been tested throughly. I've got an X1600 that doesn't work in my system. Atleast, for now. I'll be testing it again in a week.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2006
    Yep that's what I'm saying don't throw it away unless you know for sure it's dead.