PNY Attache USB Storage Stick

c18kayc18kay Bo'ness, West Lothian, Scoltand
edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hi there, I've just purchased a 1Gb PNY Attaché USB Storage Stick (Flash Drive), however when I stick it in my computer Windows tries to install the software then it comes up Unknown Hardware followed by the following message:

USB Device Not Recognizes
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

I've tried it in my other older computer and it works fine - any ideas?

Hope someone can help - thanks in advance

Chris

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Did you try a different USB port? What version of Windows?
  • c18kayc18kay Bo'ness, West Lothian, Scoltand
    edited September 2006
    Thanks for the quick responce mate

Yes I tried three different USB ports, uninstalling / reinstalling and switching off for a while then back but nothing seems to help

It's Windows XP I'm using:

Dell 8400
    Intel Pentium 4
    3Ghz
    1024 RAM
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2006
    Thanks lucas that's very insightful.

As for the problem at hand I've had this happen before and it was a pain to work around - note not everytime could I get it to work. First it should go without saying but make sure that your version of windows is fully up-to-date with all the latest patches and upgrades. There have been some changes that effect how usb drives connect in xp especially with USB 2.0.

That out of the way. If you have any other USB devices attached unplug one of them and plug your flash drive into that slot. On several occasions I've had conflicts between printers and usb drivers where for whatever reason once the printer is installed the pc wouldn't except any flash drives. I'm not sure if this is a power consumption thing or what but that seems to be the most common cause I've run across.

One last thing to check. On your task bar near the clock you should have an icon called 'Safely Remove Hardware' check to see if it's finding any devices that should be and stop them. I had one PC that was determined I had an F and G backup drives when I didn't. They were tied to a USB port and no devices would work there. Regardless if I said that hardware was no longer attached (it never was ever). To this day I never figured out where that came from.