takes 10 min to turn on my computer

edited October 2006 in Hardware
I have a computer and it takes 10 min to turn on. Meaning after i push the on button it takes 10 min to go to the start up screen where its detecting all the devices and says press del to change screen. I have a lan party nf3 250gb mother board with a ultra 600w xfinity pwer supply. got any ideas?:surprised

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I would run bootvis. its a Microsoft program that will show you what is hanging up and can help improve your boot time. To be honest it sounds like you have some sort of hardware conflict or problem if it is actually taking 10 minutes.

Keep us posted!
  • edited September 2006
    Try removung the optical drive and check again
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2006
    Is this a problem that just started happening overnight or is it one that's been slowly getting worse over time?
  • edited October 2006
    its been going on for about 6 months now. i thought something was wrong with the power supply but still 10 min. i will try bootvis.
  • NYCDrewNYCDrew NYC(duh)
    edited October 2006
    Sounds like hardware or spyware. You can also press ctrl-alt-delete at different stages of the boot and look to see what processes are running at various stages.
  • edited October 2006
    i think its taking so long on my optical drive. because when i run bootvis most of its usage is on the drive. What should i do about this problem
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Power off the PC. Unplug the drive cables from the drive. power back on and see what happens.