Computer just turned off.

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited February 2007 in Hardware
I'm sitting at my desk, playing Ocarina of time, Minding my own business, when Click, off. (click being my hard drives turning off.) An instant powerdown. But. I turn the computer back ON, and my bios acts like it was just restarted. What the hell is going on..

Alright. More data. After replacing the power supply, it still does it. I didn't have it up for fifteen minutes total, and it just shut down. I went from a PSU outputting 11.4 on the 12V rail, to one that puts out 12.1-12.16. I had a similar problem with my Powercolor X1600 before it went out, but the bios didn't react the same. Am I losing my board? Without the video card, I'm getting the same problem on my intergrated video. Someone PLEASE help me.

EDIT:// Um. This was solved some time ago. I thought I posted the solution. But the problem was I lost a memory port on my board. Shorted out and that.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2006
    First you need to figure out if it's hardware or software. Boot up in safe mode and just let it sit there idling and see if it shuts off after 15 mins - an hour whatever. If it doesn't then reboot into regular mode and do the same. If still nothing happens load up an app that strains your video card and see what it does.

If it's failing in safe mode then there's a good chance it's hardware. Remove your hard drives and power and see how long it'll idle before rebooting. Then keep trying to issolate the problem. Failing heatsinc on a CPU could be causing it to overheat also a failing cpu will do this. Bad ram is another possibility.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2006
    I did all that, cycled video cards, used intergrated, turn thsi off, tried that..But. I pull one stick of memory, and it stops. Up 24 hours, just about, been burning DVD's, playing games..Think I pulled a bad stick?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2006
    Seems to be the case. Have you tried running memtest on it?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited October 2006
    Both machines I tested it in say it's clean. But, it used to identify it's brand in CPUZ, both sticks don't now.

EDIT:// Also, My video card was idling at 61C. Now, it idles at 50. Thank you powercolor for the defective card, but POWERFUL heatsink.
  • edited February 2007
    Did you test the RAM stick in a other computer?We never had computers turning off in house that was RAM problem because we buy good RAM but we had problems with the power supply getting the computer to turn off or believe it or not pop up blockers getting the computer to turn off .