PNY 6800GT Video Issues

GothicSatan187GothicSatan187 Carleton, Michigan
edited November 2006 in Hardware
okay... heres my system first of all

MSI K8 Neo
AMD 3000+ @ 2.0
1.5 GB Ram
PNY 6800GT w/ Artic Cooling Silencer
CMStacker (3 12cm fans in front intake, 80mm Fan on top, exhaust, 2 80mm fans on top back exhaust, 12cm fan in back exhaust.)
Audigy ZS2 Platinum
X-Connect 500w PSU

The Problem.... Yesterday i cleaned out the inside of the cause, and vacumed out all the filters.. After hookin the computer back up, it now has video issues...

You can sometimes see green lines going up and down the screen, its very quick, and not permenant, and sometime when reading text, the words get all screwed up, and the monitor sometimes just turns black, and then comes back on. Any Ideas?

Nothing is overclocked, i'm using Windows x64 Professional.. i have all the latest drives installed. It worked fine before i cleaned it out... and has for a while. :dead: help!!?!?!??!

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2006
    **** Disclaimer***** Standard house hold vacuums generate a lot of static and should never be used to clean out computer equipment. But if you do make sure that your computer is unplugged from the power and after you do what your going to do ground the computer by touching something else metal then various parts of the case. As a general rule though you just shouldn't do that. Compressed air is the safe way to clean a computer of dust.

Ok, as for your problem most likely you've knocked a card slightly out of position. Disconnect the power to the power supply open your case up remove all your cards (another card besides the video card can cause this also) and then put them all back in and make sure they are sitting correctly i.e. the front of the card is sitting at about the same level as the back in terms of how much visibility there is on the pins in the slot.
  • GothicSatan187GothicSatan187 Carleton, Michigan
    edited October 2006
    i took my videocard out and cleaned the heat sink, and put it back in, check all wires, everything....

i've cleaned my computer this way for the past 3 years... i have the CM Stacker case, in which has all those filters, i take all those out, and vacume those... i do use compressed air for MB and stuff...
    edited October 2006
    I'd pull the video card again and put it back in. It's easy to do and it doesn't take much for it to become unseated. I've seen many a video card become unseated at work from the cleaning staff just bumping a case while cleaning.

Also double check that any lumps of dust didn't get into the agp socket.
    edited November 2006
    i have pulled it, there aren't any dust clumps in it, that was my first guess. i think it was a heating issue, i moved and now i'm in a basement where the temp is a lot cooler, and i'm not having any probs... hopefully that was it.
    edited November 2006
    You may want to invest in some extra cooling then, don't wanna slowly burn out a processor for the savings of a $20 fan.
    edited November 2006
    i think i have enough cooling in there....

:confused:
    okay... heres my system first of all

MSI K8 Neo
    AMD 3000+ @ 2.0
    1.5 GB Ram
    PNY 6800GT w/ Artic Cooling Silencer
    ***CMStacker (3 12cm fans in front intake, 80mm Fan on top, exhaust, 2 80mm fans on top back exhaust, 12cm fan in back exhaust.)***
    Audigy ZS2 Platinum
    X-Connect 500w PSU

The Problem.... Yesterday i cleaned out the inside of the cause, and vacumed out all the filters.. After hookin the computer back up, it now has video issues...

You can sometimes see green lines going up and down the screen, its very quick, and not permenant, and sometime when reading text, the words get all screwed up, and the monitor sometimes just turns black, and then comes back on. Any Ideas?

Nothing is overclocked, i'm using Windows x64 Professional.. i have all the latest drives installed. It worked fine before i cleaned it out... and has for a while. :dead: help!!?!?!??!
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited November 2006
    You must've given the heatsink a static charge and it used the processor as a ground. If the card works in another board, then you've either torched your port, or your entire PCI-X bridge.