Do I need to reinstall Windows XP if I upgrade CPU?

edited December 2006 in Hardware
I am thinking about upgrading my AMD 3500+ socket 939 CPU to an X2 version. Do I have to reinstall Windows XP when I do this? I know in the past this wasnt true when I went from a Athlon XP 2000 to 3000. :confused:

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    No, just make sure your bios is happy. As far as I know XP doesn't care at all.
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I don't think you should have to just changing the CPU
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2006
    Generally not. The only times I've had it happen is when the BIOS needed an update to run the faster CPU and it was doing it out of spec. However in the modern age of jumper free MOBO's this shouldn't happen.
  • edited December 2006
    What about Motherboard? should you re-install if you change that?

Sorry dont mean to hi-jack lol
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    It's generally a good idea to completely reinstall windows after you upgrade the motherboard. You can get away with a repair install of windows sometimes when you upgrad a motherboard so you can save all your files.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Aranyic wrote:
    It's generally a good idea to completely reinstall windows after you upgrade the motherboard. You can get away with a repair install of windows sometimes when you upgrade a motherboard so you can save all your files.

I concur.
  • edited December 2006
    When you change mobo from different technologies (i.e. from amd to intel. or from via chipset to nforce) you will need to reinstall windows. Most probably you wont be able to get into windows.
    when i changed mobo (from asus p4p800 to p4c800 deluxe) i couldn`t get into windows
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2006
    I've learned that as long as your bus doesn't change (AMD 64 3500+ to AMD Athalon FX-55) you're good to go if you installed your processor driver. If you're goin' from AMD to Intel, you're gonna have to format. Board to board, As long as your bus doesn't change, it's alright, but install your old drivers if the board you switch to isn't the same chipset. I've gone from a Via Kt800 to an Nforce 410 without formatting, by uninstalling my previous drivers, and starting in safemode, installing them, and that was in Windows 2000!
  • edited December 2006
    If you're careful about drivers and know how to use the recovery console then you can change pretty much anything if you really need to but unless its really critical you may as well reinstall.

That new desktop feeling is always nice!