Something new to vex my existance.

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited December 2006 in Hardware
This can only be explained with a picture, so see below.
Delta plane artifacts. I've seen these real recent on an X1600 (Remember the one I was fighting?) And now, on my X1900.

OmF's Knowledgebase: Delta Plane Artifacts (Knowledge incomplete and assumed.)
Delta plane artifacts aren't as fatal as say, Alpha or shader artifacts, and are only visible under certain circumstances. Such as when I run ATI tool. These have not been noticed anywhere else, and I count pixels. The current study has seen this on two cards, both Sapphire in build. The X1600 started doing this some time ago, about five weeks, and has stopped. It was also outputting alpha artifacts in World of Warcraft, but nary anywhere else. It has since stopped, and now my X1900 has begun this yellow spew. Farcry, FEAR, Oblivion, Morrowind, Half Life 2, Counterstrike:Source, Firearms(HL1 mod) and a slew of other games too numerous to mention, along with Softimage XSI, 3dsMAX 7, Milkshape 3d and Maya; aren't affected by this problem from what I've seen. I have noticed no detrimental effects to performance, and so far, I rule this as a fluke occurance to a software tool and/or driver problem since the first card I saw with this problem has since been rid of it by no work of my own.

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Whew, you my friend are hating it! Something about Sapphire/ATI cards and your system, just don't get along! Other them drivers, I don't know what to tell you bro........

Although, you might be having some weird mojo going on between the nvidia based mobo and the ATI card issues.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2006
    One-hundred percent possible my friend. Yet, until Biostar makes a ATI/ULI based motherboard, I am stuck with my lot. If Nvidia cards had the same kind of power ATI's did, I would switch to Nvidia instantly.
  • edited December 2006
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

It really depends on the game
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited December 2006
    One-hundred percent possible my friend. Yet, until Biostar makes a ATI/ULI based motherboard, I am stuck with my lot. If Nvidia cards had the same kind of power ATI's did, I would switch to Nvidia instantly.

Huh? They're neck-in-neck last I checked, with only MINIMAL performance difference between comparably priced cards.

If you have a personal thing against nvidia and won't buy nforce chipset based motherboards, that's fine. But for all intensive purposes, nvidia or ati will do an equally good job in 3d at this moment in time.
    edited December 2006
    Um. No one made this a debate about performance. It's about compatibility. And no, ATI's hardware has more power than Nvidia's, but they've got the driver support and that jazz.

And I also don't have anything against nvidia. It just comes to my attention the hybrid chipset 410/430 has seen quite a few incompatibilities with hardware down the road. I'm also gonna be nice and ask you not to assume something when you apparently don't know what's going on.
    edited December 2006
    And no, ATI's hardware has more power than Nvidia's, but they've got the driver support and that jazz.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ATI-Radeon-X1950-XTX-versus-nVidia-GeForce-7950-GX2-36994.shtml

There's some truth in your statement, but it's not like night/day. I doubt anyone is crying about low frame rates with a vanilla 7950 or x1950 in their rig.

Everyone has compatibility issues, and from there (as you seem to be aware) there's a series of trade-offs that takes place. Mileage may vary.

I just see blanket statements and feel obligated to toss in my $0.02

I'd rather not get into the whole ati vs nvidia thing AGAIN. :thumbsup:
    edited December 2006
    Last post I'm gonna make about this ATI vs Nvidia.

The GX2 is two cards.
  • edited December 2006
    I `ve always been an nvidia fun, but i have to admit that ati cards have better image quality. Nvidia is based on rough power to get the results, rather than ati that is based more into technology.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    It does no good IMHO to have hardware that makes a pretty picture or that looks pretty itself that is incompatible with the rest of the system. ;)
    IMHO compatibility comes first.:D
    edited December 2006
    The GX2 is two cards.

Two cores, isn't it? And I wasn't referring to the gx2 in my post (aside from linking to a general article about 2 comparably equipped cards)...

I'm glad to hear that's your last post on the matter, it seems you're definitely a fan of one and not the other. IMO the hardware fanaticism I see on sites similar to this is rediculous. I'm a pretty old school overclocker/tweaker and have been around longer than this rivalry, so maybe it matters less to me what company makes my gear so long as it does what I want.

2 cores (NOT 2 cards):

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/05/geforce_7950_gx2/

And some more benchmarks for the vanilla x1950xtx versus the vanilla 7950gtx (to let the reader decide):

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=519&model2=586&chart=225

It's important to note that I was immediately spoken to in a condescending voice, which is inappropriate in friendly discussion about computer components. If you can't conduct yourself appropriately then please don't conduct your business here at all.

To further qualify, I have owned an equal number of top of the line/bleeding edge video cards by both ATi and nvidia in the past 5 years. As of this moment I use a laptop as my primary, so naturally I'm using a gforce (7800gtx) component for gaming purposes since ATi wasn't offering much in the the mobile gaming department through the major OEM channels when I bought this laptop last summer. In my HTPC I have a Radeon 9250 with dvi (needed agp and dvi).
  • edited December 2006
    The geforce 7950 Gx2 are two gfx cards together.
    Each card has its own ram and gpus. It is like having sli on one pci slot.
    edited December 2006
    stoopid wrote: »
    And some more benchmarks for the vanilla x1950xtx versus the vanilla 7950gtx (to let the reader decide):

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=519&model2=586&chart=225

^^ ^^^ ^^^^