Error performing inpage opperation????

BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
edited December 2006 in Hardware
I have a hard drive from a friends pc. I removed it from the case and installedit into an external hard drive case. First the green indicator light alternates from green to red. When, in WINDOWS EXPLORER, I click the drive, the light goes from green to red and gives the above message "E:\ is not accesable, error performing inpage opperation". I can see the drive listed in windows explorer and MY computer. I also see it listed in Disk Management. there I see the drive split into 3 partitions. One is the E drive or system drive. Then there is the HP_RECOVERY partition. the 3rd was an un activated 10 gig that I was able to format it and store jpg's on that partition. So it must be working somewhat. I cannot gain access to the E partition where some important info is located. Any ideas?
Hard drive has XP Home on E partition, the laptop I'm using to acess it is running XP Pro and never had a problem looking at drives with lesser Os's on them via the external drive case.:confused:
Thanks Bruce

Comments

• edited December 2006
    Right click on My Computer ->Manage. From there go to Disk Management and check if everything is alright. From There you will be able to format.
    Also Try putting the external HD before you open the pc. Sometimes windows get confused.
    You can also check if the hd is proberly connected on the external case and is not set to cable. (at the back of the HD there must be 3 set of 2 pinds. One is for master, one is for slave and one is for cable).
  • BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
    edited December 2006
    I have been in CONTRO PANEL.....ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS.....COMPUTER MANAGEMENT........DISK MANAGER. There I can see the hard drive has 3 partitions. Only 1 partition was available as the C drive while it was in the original case. When I accesed it as decribed above, I could see 1 partition labled HP_RECOVERY, the second partiton labled E ( this is labled that way due to it being hooked up to my laptop) and this is the system partition. then there is a 3rd partition that was not formatted. As a test, I formatted that partition. I am also able to save and retreive data from that one last partition only. There is some documents I was told to try and save on the E partition. If I could also acess the HP_RECOVERY partition, maybe I could reprogram the drive. Or see if anything is wrong with it. I'm hoping Windoews was just SO messed up it caused the "E:\ is not accesable, error performing inpage opperation" message. Oh when I "right click" any partition I can see properties of that partition. When I "right click" the E partition, nothing happens. :confused:
  • edited December 2006
    I just did some research and of what i found out, that message is due to failing HD. Use Scan disk to check the disk for errors and if no errors found check for bad sectors. It may had but sectors at the mft so that makes the whole partition Inaccesable.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2006
    I would suggest ghosting an image of that disk to another harddrive. Then work off the other harddrive. If this hdd is failing you may not have many changes to try and retrieve data and if it's got serious issues running a scandisk on it may make it worse.

Further more I'd suggest leaving it exposed to as much air as possible to try and keep it cool. I'd even suggest putting a bag of frozen vegies on it to keep it as cold as possible. Cold drives mean less data degradation which means better chance of getting a good read.
  • edited December 2006
    What Kryyst says is correct. I remember putting my failing HD into a plastic bag and then into the freezer for couple of hour. It was cold enough to give me the time to backup my data
  • BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
    edited December 2006
    DOES WinXPpro have a scandisk? Last I saw that was in Win98. How can I do the GHOST thing? Funny thing with that drive is I can store and retreive data from another partition on the SAME drive. ALSO, when I clicked RUN and typed CHKDSK E: it would hesitate a split second the kinda "kick" me out. If I attempted a virous scan on that drive, again a second or two wait, then it would start scanning my C drive instead. wierd Not the drive I said to
    edited December 2006
    Sounds like the partition table on it may just be fubared and not the drive physically. XP has a scan disk but it's on a partition by partition basis. Right click on the drive in windows explorer then choose properties then tools then error checking and put a check mark in both boxes. If it's a bad partition table that alone may fix it (if your lucky).

To ghost the drive you need to get norton ghost just the basic version preferable the run off a floppy one. Then you simply boot up a machine from the floppy with both drives the source and destination and you ghost the source drive to the destination. This will go through at a lower level then the file level and make nearly an exact duplicate of the source drive to the destination (over writing anything on the destination). The good thing about this is that Ghost will do some data correction if the bits are unavailable so files that may not have been readable before can become readable afterwards, though they may be missing little pieces. It really just depends on the nature of the damage on the source drive.
  • BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
    edited December 2006
    I cant even right click the troubled partition. What it does do is give me "help" option only, then if I click THAT, I get that same message about inpage opperation. I CAN right click the other 2 partitions on that drive and do a scanDisk or defrag or backup.
    HP has avaiable a RESCUE DISK SET. A set of floppies to boot up the machine and reprogram from the HP_RESTORE partition. I'm determined to try see whats wrong with this drive and recover the data needed without going the data recivery services route$$$$$
  • BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
    edited December 2006
    I was able to start a system recovery from that "hidden" partition. First, it was supposed to give me the option of saving personal data or a total drive format . Instead it goes straight into the format option. Thinking all was well and it said it now must be re-booted. It fails to reboot but instead gives a message of a missing windows startup file. THIS DRIVE IS GONNA MEET MR. SLEDGE HAMMER..................CASE CLOSED Thank you to all who tried to help............Bruce
    edited December 2006
    Well....now you are actually some where. It may have repaired the drive to an almost usable state. You could try booting up now with a windows cd and doing a repair install on the drive. That'll go through and replace all the core windows shit so you in theory could boot from the drive again.
  • BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
    edited December 2006
    The pc in question didnt come with a Windows XP cdrom. I have a brand new hard drive and a New store bought WinXP cd. I think if I install the new WinXP cd, the keycodes wont match, and therefore wont allow me to go any further?:confused: I do get kinda obsesive with theses kinda problems till I get results. BUT, with this time of year, do I want to use up time when I can install ALL NEW?
    ALSO. Recall when I said in WinXP Disk Manager I can see the 3 partitions? All 3 said healthy. Where 2 of the partitions said (ACTIVE), the 3rd HP_RECOVERY partition is labled (EISA) or something like that. Any way to get at that info or keep/burn the original WinXP Home to give back to them?
    edited December 2006
    BruceY wrote: »
    The pc in question didnt come with a Windows XP cdrom. I have a brand new hard drive and a New store bought WinXP cd. I think if I install the new WinXP cd, the keycodes wont match, and therefore wont allow me to go any further?:confused: I do get kinda obsesive with theses kinda problems till I get results. BUT, with this time of year, do I want to use up time when I can install ALL NEW?
    ALSO. Recall when I said in WinXP Disk Manager I can see the 3 partitions? All 3 said healthy. Where 2 of the partitions said (ACTIVE), the 3rd HP_RECOVERY partition is labled (EISA) or something like that. Any way to get at that info or keep/burn the original WinXP Home to give back to them?

If you do a repair install it'll actually force you to register the cd key so it won't conflict with whatever was on there before it'll just over right it, but that'd waste the cd. If you have the original KEY and your versions match then you can put in the original CD key and you are good to go.

So if all 3 are healthy if you boot up with that drive as a secondary drive in another system can you read it? If so copying files is as simple as drag and drop. There is no real way to extract xp out of the system sot hey can re-use it. Best you'd be able to do is backup their data files and do a clean install.
  • BruceYBruceY S. Jersey
    edited December 2006
    KRYYST..................Running low on time I have to work on this pc, I opted to Fdisk the whole drive. what you said above about recovering the XP for them I belived it too to be a slim shot. Anyhow I now have totaly removed the problematic drive and installed a new drive. getting ready to install windows next. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND GUIDENCE
    BRUCE