more RAM

edited February 2007 in Hardware
I currently have 1GB of RAM, will increasing it to 1.5GB make my windows applications startup faster?
thanks

Comments

• edited December 2006
    Depends from the application and from how many processes you have. I mean if your processes take the whole 1gb of your ram the yes the applications will run faster. Thats thought something impossible to happen as i cannot think of any application that will take up to 1gb of ram exept games.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2006
    Upgrading from 1 gig to 1.5 gigs of RAM should give you some what of a speed increase in intensive apps like games or graphic utils. It will also help if you are someone that has many apps open at once. The other side to this is if your system is starting to run slow and you are noticing it, then adding ram is a bandage to a bigger problem. It could be that you need to do a good system clean up, perhaps a clean install if it's been over a year.
  • edited February 2007
    I don't know most people who use 1 GB of RAM on else you going to run Windows vista well most people use 512MB of RAM and is fine for most games and running Windows XP .

On the Windows XP box it is saying you need 128 MB of RAM but you really should have 512MB of RAM for Windows XP most people run many programs at the same time.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited February 2007
    To be honest, I won't sell a computer with less than a gigabyte of memory. My dad struggles on 512, and wonders why he can't encode movies as fast as I can, and complains that the computer he bought is junk compared to mine, when I told him not to go with 512 in the first place.

XP says 128 minimum. OS only. 256 is when XP starts to act normal versus 2000 at 128, and 512 is when it starts screwing up. It stops at about 768-900ish and runs decent on a gigabyte. I run on 1536 because I can't run on 2048 because of my burned out memory port.

Anything less than a gig is a waste, anything more than two is a waste. XP's not really meant to address more than that unless you've got PRO, and it doesn't do too good at it anyway. A gig isn't sundries, it's necessity. No new games require less than 512 now, so it's time to jump on the bandwagon. 1536MB of DDR400, good idea. 1536MB of SD100? Just like shooting yourself in the foot after buying brand new running shoes.
  • edited February 2007
    Basically 2gb of ram is the best to go. There are games now that use up to 1gb of ram(like gothic 3). So 1gb goes on games, around 512mb to windows and you are still left with 512mb extra so the machine doesn`t cache.
  • edited February 2007
    Anything less than a gig is a waste, anything more than two is a waste. XP's not really meant to address more than that unless you've got PRO, and it doesn't do too good at it anyway.

Well I thought most games and software now you need minimum of 512 and Windows xp minimum 128 but to make sure you don't have slow computer to have 256 with XP .

I thought every thing is going 512 now.And I don't think most address bus can address more than 2 GB .

A gig isn't sundries, it's necessity. No new games require less than 512 now, so it's time to jump on the bandwagon. 1536MB of DDR400, good idea. 1536MB of SD100? Just like shooting yourself in the foot after buying brand new running shoes.

I think you will see in 2 or 3 years new games and software will you need minimum 1 GB .
    There are games now that use up to 1gb of ram(like gothic 3).

Well could it be typo on the box?Many people don't have a 1 GB of RAM so 90 % people cannot play this game.
    edited February 2007
    Oblivion demands 512, but it will jitter and stutter until it has a gig. There is no reason not to have a gigabyte of memory, and now that they make a two gig stick, and 512's are cheap there is no logical reason NOT to have a gigabyte. You say you don't need it. I've got two computers in my house that have less than a gig. The one I'm on now only has 512. The only reason it has such a small amount is because it's a doppelganger system. ECS K8T890-A. Has both AGP and PEG, so it's great for testing things. The other, is a computer so small that the stick of memory is less than two inches shy of being longer than the motherboard and it runs linux with MythTV. It only needs 128, but I've given it 512 because I don't want it to stress the drive with constant reading and writing to the swap page.

A gig isn't sundries anymore. It's almost necessary now. You think what you want, but this is from half a dozen years of experience, and swapping from a gig to 512, back and forth.
  • edited February 2007
    So you find on you computer running 512 MB RAM is too slow and going to 1 GB is better?
    edited February 2007
    I believe I said that twice already.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    zergpc209 wrote: »
    So you find on you computer running 512 MB RAM is too slow and going to 1 GB is better?

YES, what he^^ said!:thumbsup:
  • edited February 2007
    :lol: He must be running many programs!!
    edited February 2007
    Let's see..Winamp, Daemon Tools, PowerISO, Steam, MSN, D-Link Wireless Configuration Wizard, Privoxy, Intervideo WinCinema Manager, Vidalia, Nostromo Speedpad Loadout Manager. Those are always there. Active on most days are Firefox, VNC Viewer, Bit Tornado, Milkshape 3d, 3ds MAX 7, Softimage XSI, Corel PSP X, Adobe Photoshop CS2, TVAnts, Fruity Loops Studio 7, ASIO4ALL, Collab 1.1.3, Soundforge 8, Cain and Abel, Ethereal, Netstumbler, OpenMPT, Skype, Artmoney, Reshack, Hex Workshop. You name it, I do it. And I play a few games every now and then, but that list is longer than what's up there. Gig and a half is enough for me to need, but I could always use more.

I'm gonna give you some info I came across. If you want more than a gig, try to get it in sticks of 512. Yeah, it sounds dumb but I've noticed that four sticks 512 versus two sticks 1024 run faster. It may just be me, but that's what I've seen and I don't expect to be held to it. It may've been a flue or whatnot.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2007
    On the issue of 1 stick or 2. On most modern boards they are designed to run ram slots in parallel. Much the same concept as a drives in an array. So when going for speed more sticks of ram is always better.
  • edited February 2007
    That is many programs you have running :eek::eek::eek: