Newly built PC issues

edited January 2007 in Hardware
All I can say is HELP!

Here's the story:
I recently purchased what is basically a whole new system. The only things I'm recycling for now are my CD-R and DVD-ROM. I put everything together and turned it on. The pc runs to the point where I should be able to access the BIOS but nothing happens (Mobo has a POST display that shows what point it is at in the boot process). Here's my specs:

Abit AN9 fatal1ty SLI
AMD 4800+ AM2
Asus EN7950GT (only 1 right now)
OCZ DDR2-800 2GB
Seagate 250GB SATA HDD
500w PSU
AC Freezer Pro 64

I'm thinking the mobo is bad, but I'd really appreciate some input from other knowledgable people. I checked and rechecked every damn connection on the board and cards. Dunno if any of this makes a difference but I occassionally got stuck in other, earlier parts of the booting process, but the most consistent sticking point is at hitting "DEL." One other note is the only way I could even get video is to put the video card in the "slave" PCI-E 16x slot. Master gets nothing... And here I was looking forward to a nice 3-Day weekend with my new PC. :(

Comments

• AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    OK first thing I would try is this:

Take everything out of the case and put the mobo on a piece of wood (or anything non conductive/non static). Just hook up the CPU, Video Card, Ram and power it up. See if you get anything then.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2007
    You might also be having issues with not enough power. You should have enough with that power supply but it could be short. Disconnect one of your optical drives (or both) and try booting up again.
  • edited January 2007
    What brand name is your psu. It seems that you either have power problems as Kryyst mensioned, you may also have cpu overheating issues- check if the cooler sits on the cpu correctly and that you applied thermalpaste. Also try putting the ram into a different slot.
    A 500w psu that is not a good brand name, may only output up to 400w. Also a non brand name psu would not give u stable volltages. I reccomend bying brand name psu like ocz or thermaltake (my personal favourite).
  • edited January 2007
    Is coolermaster an ok psu brand? I'm a touch short on funds and I found one locally for $50 (it's 600W and I don't have to daisy chain all these damn adapters together).

CPU sink is sitting as it should be and I used arctic silver. I came to the same conclusion about power after re-reading the manual for about the tenth time. Brain must've been on auto-pilot for the first nine times.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Cooler master normally has nice stuff. Be careful with cheap PSUs!!! A $50 600W PSU doesn't sound like quality to me! Do you get anything out of the CM PSU?