strange problem new install mce

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Hi Guys
I've just built a new PC (as below) installation of MCE went fine but I have two odd problems with 'powercolor theatre 550 pro, PCI-E x1'.

The first one is that it installed OK and I set it up in MCE without any problems (detected TV stations OK) but when I went on to a station it came up with 'Decoder Error. The video decoder has either malfunctioned or not installed. Please restart Media Centre and/or the computer'. Needless to say that doesn't do anything much. The board is supposed to work with MCE - and TV works fine with the Cyberlink PowerCinema 4.0.

The second problem is with the supplied USB remote link - this appears to work OK but if it is left in as the PC the PC is switched on, it hangs at the ABIT POST logo screen.

Any ideas would be gratefully received...

Antec Solo case
Abit AB9-Pro + core duo E6300
2x512MB OCZ platinum memory
Lite-On DVD-RW
Spinpoint 250GB HDD
Windows MCE 2005
Powercolor 'Theatre550pro' analogue TV tuner.
Gigabyte 7900GS PCI-E graphics

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Your first issue sounds like drivers that don't want to play together and I have never heard of USB devices hanging a system at boot time. I'll look around for ya....
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    The USB device hanging a system thing has happened to me many times.

I've had certain computers just NOT boot properly when a thumb drive or something similar was installed.

I had a server that would blue screen if USB storage devices were inserted upon startup.

I've never found a way to stop it from happening, though. Sorry.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2007
    I've seen this problem before with usb devices, though I think all of them have been usb drives of some sort. One thing to check though it to go into your bios and check out your boot up options and make sure that USB device isn't one of them. It's entirely possible that it's detecting that device and trying to boot from it and getting hung up.

As for your other issue where is your signal coming from? Basic cable, digital cable, satellite etc?