Delayed Restart or no restart at all!

budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
edited January 2007 in Hardware
I have been having some issues w/ my video card so it is not uncommon for me to get picture freezes and then bam into safe mode....

To the problem in question...when I go to restart my PC.....the reset button doesnt work and sometimes when windows trys to restart the system it just sits there in a plain scree...like the system doesnt reboot...

I can hear the difference in the system when it is going to happen..there is something that is not working right but I cant nail it down...Ever since I can remember since I put this board in I have had to hold the button in just to turn thing off....

TIA

Bud

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2007
    It almost sounds to me like your video card is over heating or that you don't have enough power coming from your PSU, this I've noticed to be a more and more common thing as people updated their hardware but not their PSU's. Modern video cards these days are drawing a ridiculous amount of juice especially if they are actively cooled with a fan on the board.

Now another issue could stem if you've overclocked your mobo at all or even been highly aggressive with the timings. Even if you haven't you may want to reset your clock settings a little conservative, even slightly under powered(shutter) and see if that stops the problem.
  • budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
    edited January 2007
    I dont have any overclocking going heck..I havent had time to tweeak a thing in the bios...

As far as the PSU...I bought a oversize one....at least I thought....and a good brand so was mentioned on her..LOL...Here is my PSU

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=71198
    edited January 2007
    Could be your video card then. Do you have any spare cards to swap around?
    edited January 2007
    Yea...just dont have the monitor to hook them up too...sold them all...

I am using one of those industrial non-sync 20+ inch one now...HUGE ...lol...was the bomb back when I got it...lol...back then you couldnt get a 20 for less than like 800...and i got 6 of these and video cards for 300....made a bundle on them..lol...

Anyway...so there in lyes these issue now...would the video card cause the restart thing?...like having to hold the button in and everything?
    edited January 2007
    It's possible that the video card could cause the restarting problem - it's unlikely but it's possible. The restarting problem is caused when the soft off doesn't get the right state command from the hardware so it won't shut down.

However - the reset button should normally ignore the hardware state and send a reset. You might want to double check that you've got the reset wire plugged into the right spot on your motherboard. If the reset button is working even if the rest of your hardware isn't it the computer should still reset even if it just goes from one blank screen to another.
    edited January 2007
    hmmm....need to do a dusting...so will check it out....if I rember correctly this dang board wasnt exactly marked real well so we'll c....
    edited January 2007
    let me correct myself...the reset button does work however just like the restart through window it doesnt always work....

Lets say the pc hangs up...I hit the reset button and it will either reset...or go to the blank screen I talked about before...same thing as when I just try to restart...like after installing some software or something....sometimes it restarts other times it just goes to a black screen....

When it does go to a black screen then the reset button does nothing!...does that make it all clear? or at least can you make sense of it

Since it does work sometimes I am thinking that my wires are right but will check when I do the dusting...
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2007
    Hmm...How long have you had this computer, Well...The motherboard?
    edited January 2007
    MB....maybe a 2 yrs...
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2007
    Check your capacitors and resistors. I had a board that refused to restart hot, but would start cold every time, resistors were going. Few were bulbed, one was on the verge of leaking..
    edited January 2007
    k...will take a look!