For the love of god. Someone kill Hitachi.

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited February 2007 in Hardware
YAD here again. Status update of the worlds CRAPPIEST hard drive, It now ticks two different ticks.

One that sounds like the drive actually turning ON, and one that sounds like the head magnet had to be unlocked.

Someone please just..Shoot me. It's driving me up the wall man...I'll be running WinTVR playing my Xboxen and like every ten minutes, One, then the other. And it's not like the hard drive is actually DOING anything! Does it in WOW, but not in anything else, since I don't have any other games installed to it. Rest are on my crappy SATA drive, which only buffered reads at 104MB/S compared to the hitachi's 178.3MB/S and the maxtor's 165MB/S.

It's getting so bad that I'm almost willing to take it out now and see if I can knock it to the other end of my block. HDDoctor says the drive's 93% alive, and 94% healthy, but opposed, my Seagate is only 51% anything. Smart approves all of my drives, says nothing is wrong. SMART is wrong. There has to be a way I can see if this drive is just talkative (I've had some IBM Fireballs that talked alot, but still run to this day.) or if it's ready to be knocked out of the park.

You gotta help me guys. I'm desperate.

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Man... I don't know what to tell you YAD, except that if it didn't make noise before I personally wouldn't trust it.
    At least don't put anything on it you don't mind loosing...... which sounds lame I know, but if you use it for games and just back up the saved games each day (automated) you might get some life out of it. I have lost hard drives from every company, but I choose to stick with WD as #1 & Seagate as #2. IMHO
  • edited February 2007
    I do not trust hitachi at all. I have recently bought the samsung performance series sp2004c if i remember correclty, and i am really pleased. Very fast and ultra quite.
    As Zuntar said do not put anything on the HDD that is important to you. Try doing a defragment on the disk, and check it for bad sectors. This way you will check the whole disk area and if there is a problem, then it will show up
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited February 2007
    There's nothing on it save for Final Fantasy eight right now, and WOW. All stuff I have on CD/DVD. So I guess I'm alright. It's not so much the noise it's making, it's the anticipation of it dying. It's driving me batty. Drive's clean, no errors that Windows can see. Well, Monday I replace it reguardless. My Xboxen could use a bigger hard drive anyway.