Strange Bios funks.

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited February 2007 in Hardware
Right. I have an ECS K8T890 Rev A. Socket 939 bundled with a 64 3500 that runs too hot because the heatsink doesn't go to that processor, but it works during idle, and a boxfan helps. Well, when I got it, it seemed to work fine. Granted I knew the hard drive I was using is toast, but it works well enough to hold an OS and some system tools, like CPUID and the tools for the board, drivers and yatta. 13GB of old WD. Probably been dropped a few times here and there. ANYHOO, on to the Meaning of Life. And by that, I mean the strange demeanor of the original bios.

First, A question. Will a system work if the 12V rail is 9.3 volts? I think not, but I've never had a power supply go that low. And it's brand new, an Ultra V series 350W PSU. The rest of the voltages are fine, and everything seems to be normal. But 9.3 volts for the 12V rail means things that need that twelve volts are getting three volts less. I know that most electronics, when under volted do not function very well, if at all. I have a Dell power supply, bit old, 250W, and the motherboard reports it having 7.55V 12V rail. This power supply came out of a P4 Dell, and sat in an AMD64 system NOT dissimilar from this one, save for it a Biostar board and everything ran great. Nary a problem. Guy played WOW on it all the time. That makes me think the sensor is lying/damaged/retarded.

Well, the BIOS recognized everything ATA as SATA. The hard drive and DVD drive were SOMEHOW on the SATA bus. Not like the SATA bus is bad or anything, it's just that I don't like it when the BIOS can't tell what's where, if anything at all. Sometimes it tends to forget that there's anything installed and liked to restart when I pressed the numpad DEL key. Right, that's smart. I wanna use that key for anything, it cancels what I'm doing, and restarts the system. I mean like I pressed the reset button or something. Granted the keyboard was designed for a Playstation 2, I used it on my computer for some time and it worked fine. Even added some EL-cable for some ultra blue bling-bling. And by that, I mean so sodding bright that I can't sleep without throwing my shorts over the keyboard. Anyway, along with some other strange quirks, this machine was a solid quandary. Kept me baffled for many a minutes. Maybe thirty, and that's when I got the idea to recklessly flash the bios, IN WINDOWS! Oh my god that's ne--Yeah, yeah it has. But, I hate flashing bioses because I swear to god that every time I do it, I could fart and the system would be corpsed. My history with bios flashing goes back to the days when you had to buy bios updates.

For a change, it worked. And I mean worked. Everything ran right as rain, except the hard drive, which is old and worn out. I just thought I'd bring the endevour to your attention, and maybe see some of your worst bios faults so that I may broaden my knowledge of such problems and give you guys a giggle.

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    YAD, your a friggin nut.:rock: Glad it worked for ya!!:thumbsup:
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2007
    Hmmm what can I say I've never had a problem flashing a bios. I've had issues where the the mobo said 'this' is the new bios for your system and the system saying I'm not touching it. But I've never bricked a system when it actually accepted what I was trying to flash onto it.