Raptor Raid recovery awesomness!

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited March 2007 in Hardware
:rock:
I've got 2 150gig raptors raided up in "0" and a couple days ago one started clicking when I was in a (old) game. Oh no!!! ... I restarted and it somehow worked. Well, I was showing someone Total Annihilation and the same thing happened again in this different old game. Clicking madness! So for a couple days I sat around upset that my 300 freshy gigs of mouthwatering intarweb goodness downloads disappeared.

Switching cables around and rechecking and rechecking came up nill. The motherboard raid kept saying 1 drive offline, and I never did figure out which one it was talking about as it didn't identify them, even when switching cords backwards.

Well, I finally played around with erasing and rebuilding, and I was accepting the total loss. The recovery tab said "not recoverable." But!!! I made sure I didn't "delete" data when deleting the raid and rebuilding. I remembered the exact settings the raid had and decided to give it one last shot. I rebuilt it identical to how it was before without deleting data, and WHOALLA!!! It booted fine!!!!! I'm so happy. On top of that, fresh 750 gig consolidation harddrive! Now I need a back up one. I got the Seagate Enterprise Edition Drive which is supposedly supposed to last longer I think is the only improvement about it over the 7200.10. eBay rocked my world the day I won that.

...time to venture into dual raid 8-750 (or 1000 if seagate gets its act together!) gig drive setup??? ...Donate some moola to me and you will see a lot of pics of the setup!!!!!!!!!!!

QUESTION: Clicking is bad right? :rolleyes: I hope it was temporary... :confused:

:rantofhappiness:

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited March 2007
    Oh yeah dude, Clicking is bad. Voice coil (Or newer Magneto) motors click when they restart from a unsynched spin, or a spin that's too slow.